New from Illinois

George

Hi I'm George, been hunting pheasants for a long time. I was only able to see the tale end of the good bird numbers in the state. Used to hunt some farm land in Livingston county. Since the bird numbers have fallen I've been hunting preserves. Hoping to get out to South Dakota one of these years, just need a dog first.

Welcome to the site, George. Several others that frequent the site are from Illinois; you may be able to meet others from your state and plan a SD trip someday.

Welcome aboard George , I hope you have an up tick in pheasant numbers in your home state . Is the DNR working on returning habitat / pheasant to the landscape ?

Its a work in progress. There's little to no public hunting land in the state, and what we do have gets over hunted. Too many farmers are stripping the land for corn, leaving little hunt able habitat. I have read about a few acquisitions from Pf chapters that have been successful, so there is hope.

Hi George, my name is Cody. I live in Illinois also and I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking for a bird dog and trying to set up a trip to SD this year I'm trying to do alot of research. what kind of bird dog are you Looking for? I think I'm looking for a setter.

How ya doing? Setters are nice had one growing up but unfortunately she wasn't much of a hunter. I'm leaning towards a gsp right now, wouldn't mind a lab but there really isn't an affordable breeder I found in the state.

Welcome to UPH George! Im in N IL now, but not for much longer. When I match the Powerball numbers Ill be deep in the woods where nobody can find me. If you see the tailgate down, stop for a brew.

Im doing good! I want to try to get out hunting soon! I couldn't find a affordable breeder either I'm going to start looking at other breeds. maybe I will find one around here.

Welcome. In the same boat as far as numbers go up here in the Mitten state. Have a PP that is turning out to be a good dog- just working to show him as many birds, of all types, as possible. Cool thing is I got hooked up with a preserve close to home and have been guiding there... Been awesome to show him a lot of pheasants for free and most times a tip at the end of the day!!!

Hope that you search for a dog goes well. Lots of good labs and GSPs out there!!!

That sounds perfect! I'm thinking about joining a club down here so when I get a pup I could work him during the off season to.

Hello all.
I am brand new to the forum, and I am also from Illinois. I live in Will County. I have two dogs, listed below.

Welcome to UPH! You hunt DPCA ? I used to live at 55 and 126, sure was convenient despite how it was run. See ya around

Used to hunt some farm land in Livingston county. Since the bird numbers have fallen I've been hunting preserves. Hoping to get out to South Dakota one of these years, just need a dog first.

Welcome George and Gr8.;)

George, I used to hunt Livingston County too. Back in 1995 (and prior) the pheasant hunting was as good as it gets. Opening day limits were met within minutes. Shots could be heard from all directions. Hunters would work through a filter strip, knock a few birds down--then we'd work the same strip 15-20 minutes later and pull more birds out of the cover. There wasn't a need to travel to other states to hunt pheasants.

Then, the bottom dropped out in 1996 and for whatever reason they never bounced back to their pre-1996 levels:confused:.

Maybe some day those "pheasant days" will return to Illinois. Man that would be nice wouldn't it?!!

Nick

Nick

Back