New Browning Maxus Hunter

JMc

Super Moderator
Has anyone handled one of these? I was in Gander Mtn. yesterday and they had one...wow...what a sweet feeling and good looking automatic. It actually tempted my pocketbook and I even thought about putting one of the Benelli's on the trading block.
Let me know if you have shot or handled one much. Thanks,
Jim

Jim, I bought a Maxus Hunter 2 months ago and like it a lot. It's a 28" barrel, 3" gun. It cycles 7/8 oz target loads up to 3" mags without a hitch. At 7 lbs, it carries like a 20, and the new gas system really bleeds off the recoil. After hammering clays this summer, it will get its first hunting action on Oct 9.

I agree totally with CRP. I have had mine about a month, same type as CRP's (28" barrel/ chambered to 3") I love it, I actually traded a Benelli Supernova I won in an auction for it. No regrets what so ever on that one.

Jim, I hope you did the right thing and bought or traded for the Maxus. My Benelli Montefeltro had taken a lot of birds, but it was sold to buy the Maxus. It is working as well on birds as on the clays.

If you shoot any of the 2 3/4" 1 3/8 oz loads or 3" shells later in the year, you will appreciate it even more.

I haven't "pulled the trigger" yet on the trade or purchase. I'm deciding on which gun I need to sell before I buy the Maxus.

Jim,

Gander Mtn. has $125 off for all rifles and shotguns priced at $1000 - $1499 (maxus falls in that range); plus, Browning has a $100 rebate towards shells purchased at the same time from the same retailer.

R

Got a chance this weekend to shoot a regular Maxus in all Black then pulled out the Legacy...I'm sticking with the Benelli although, the Maxus was nicer in the recoil department.

Whats all this talk about auto's, shouldn't us upland hunters be using 2 barrels, up and down or SXS.:confused::confused:

Nice looking gun though.

Trust me: my Browning Cynergy Feathers (20 & 12) are never out of reach...:) + I hit H&H in Oklahoma City this weekend and found a Cynergy Feather in a 28ga. WOW was is nice but pricey.

Whats all this talk about auto's, shouldn't us upland hunters be using 2 barrels, up and down or SXS.:confused::confused:

Lol that is certainly true, but since I also waterfowl hunt, I just went with a gun that would all around get the job done. Always wanted an over and under, maybe one day i will be able to shoot good enough and have enough pocket change haha

Jim, I picked up a brand new Browning Cynergy Feather in 20/28/410 in a Browning factory leather case for $2800 on Gun Broker early this last summer. I bid on it over memorial day weekend. I was the only bidder. Opening bid was $2800. I was ready to spend the $2300 that Reeds in Walker Mn wanted for just a 20ga. I couldn't go wrong. The only draw back was I wanted the 26" barrels. I had to settle for 28" on all three gauges. I shoot a 12ga 3.5" camo Cynergy also. They are awesome guns.

What a great deal...WOW...I have a 28ga in the Ruger Red Label and it's a great little gun. But that Cynergy would sure look good in the safe along with it's two big brothers...:)

Carried a Maxus opening day (borrowed from my uncle)...WOW what a great shooting gun. After shooting the Maxus day one and then the Benelli Legacy day two; I can assure everybody that the recoil is reduced tremendously on the Browning. I know I'm comparing gas to inertia, but I did not expect that much difference. I've been shooting Benelli's for years and will be making the change. As a matter of fact, I casually forgot to put the Maxus in his truck, so I have the gun and he is 100 miles away now...:D

Browning Maxus

JMc,
I bought a camo 3.5" Maxus before last season as a "do everything" hunting gun and have been totally happy with it. Between birds and clays I've run about 800 rounds through it without a hiccup--from 1 oz target loads to 1-3/4 oz 3" magnum loads. It saved me almost 1.5 lbs from my previous A5-since sold. It's light 7 lb weight and reduced recoil is very nice.
PairOfLabs

any problem with weeds getting into the forearm opening? am thinking about getting one and i noticed that, thinking a lot of weeds could get in and mess up the thing

I'm going to clean it tonight and will see the damage. We walked through a couple of trash pits with 6' weeds so we will see what's in the ports. It never faltered after going through them. I will let you know later.

Maxus

I've had no problems so far with weeds in the forearm opening. My only challenge has been trying to figure out how to remove the gas piston from the piston sleeve. The OM says you just pop it off. It seems like a pretty tight fit and I've been afraid to really force it. I've just been leaving it on and swabbing that whole assembly with hoppes. I clean off the magazine tube which gets fouled up from the exhaust gases. I havn't taken the trigger group out yet-sometime this season, though.

I just saw a Bass Pro flyer that had the 3.5" camo Maxus for $1299 with a $100 shell rebate
PairOfLabs

I've had no problems so far with weeds in the forearm opening. My only challenge has been trying to figure out how to remove the gas piston from the piston sleeve. The OM says you just pop it off. It seems like a pretty tight fit and I've been afraid to really force it. I've just been leaving it on and swabbing that whole assembly with hoppes. I clean off the magazine tube which gets fouled up from the exhaust gases. I havn't taken the trigger group out yet-sometime this season, though.

I just saw a Bass Pro flyer that had the 3.5" camo Maxus for $1299 with a $100 shell rebate
PairOfLabs

I thought the same thing about the gas piston and piston sleeve at first cleaning, but just give it a quick tug and it pops right off.

Back