New Boom Stick Citori Lighitng

Thor

New gun. Citori Lightning. This is my first O/U. Dont know much about them but this felt right and fit the budget. Almost bought a ruger red label and a franchi infinity. Glad I waited. Hope I love it as much after shooting a few hundred rounds!

Nice smoke pole. You will never regret the OU. Congrats

what king of ammo do you guys run through your O/U's when shooting a lot on the range (like 100+ rounds). I am used to shooting soft recoil beretta silver mallard auto... going to put in a lot more time on the range this year as my son has taken up trap team. i am thinging of trying the low recoil/low noise Wichester AAA trap loads at 980 fps. What do ya think???

I'm a reloader and my non-auto 12 and 16 gauge guns get fed 3/4 - 7/8 oz. loads at the range. They are very soft shooting and get the job done for practice. I'm sure others will have some good factory load options to consider. The loads you mentioned should be fine.

Nice gun. I really enjoyed my new to me lightning feather 16 ga this last season.

I too have the white lightning 16. The only problem I have with the gun when shooting light loads is that if you don't hold it tight enough to your shoulder sometimes it isn't enough punch to drop it to the second barrel. That is a problem when you are shooting sporting clays with report pairs and true doubles.

I have a white lighting 12 gauge. Love it and hunt with it all the time. Browning knows how to build a shotgun. I will personally have a hard time shooting something else.

Nice gun Thor. I have a 12 ga White Lightning and shot that in trap leagues and some recreational skeet and sporting clays. Your's will probably weigh 8 lbs give or take a few ounces, so it's not a light gun. I shot 1000's of 1 1/8 oz factory or reloads that were 1145-1200 fps. As I've gotten older I've been reloading more 1 oz loads (~1180 fps or so). They have noticeably less recoil. You can usually find 1 oz loads if you shop around. Many reloaders have been shooting 7/8 oz loads also. Again, lower recoil--and lower cost, too.
Have fun. Your gun will last forever.
Tom

PairOfLabs - I like your handle, I too have a pair of labs. Two fox reds. Anyway, I did get out and run 100 rounds on the trap range. I didn't shoot very well but that was more rust than anything. I liked the citori very much! tried a few chokes and a few different loads. The gun didn't beat me up much with the heavier loads. I seemed to better with tighter chokes (Light modified/Improved modified). Looking forward to more shooting soon!

I too have the white lightning 16. The only problem I have with the gun when shooting light loads is that if you don't hold it tight enough to your shoulder sometimes it isn't enough punch to drop it to the second barrel. That is a problem when you are shooting sporting clays with report pairs and true doubles.

You are referring to the Inertia triggers that are found on all Citoris except the new 725 which is a mechanical trigger.

Thor,

Some of the inertia triggers are more sensitive than others. Wearing heavy gloves can sometimes be an issue as well. My experiences with the inertia triggers seem to be about releasing the trigger completely on the first shot. If you short stroke it quickly to get the second shot off it tended to not set as well. You may never have any issues with yours and it's not really that much of an issue if you do. You just need to be deliberate when triggering the shot.

Make sure you keep the knuckle and hinge pin greased and it will last several lifetimes.

I like my Classic Lightning 20 and Gran Lightning 16, but the newer 725 12 has much better trigger pulls. All three are used mostly for skeet/clays, and early-season birds with light loads.

Citori Lightnings are an American classic!

Well I have run a few hundred rounds on the trap range and I am really enjoying the Citori. Have cleaned and re-greased several times. Starting to loosen up but still pretty stiff. What do you all do beside greasing the hinge/knuclke? I have sprayed a little rem-oil on the ejectors. I handled a very nice used Citori Lightning last weekend and almost bought it. The action was tight and smooth as butter. Hoping mine is like that by pheasant season. BTW - I drove out to SD last night to visit my mom and saw quite a few pheasants! More than usual!!!

What do you all do beside greasing the hinge/knuclke? I have sprayed a little rem-oil on the ejectors.

I think your pretty much covering it right there. I will say don't glob on too much grease, just enough to lightly cover the surfaces. You can almost look and see what surfaces will be rubbing against each other to see where you will need it. I always put a dab on the forend piece as well where the hinge and knuckle fit into.

When your done shooting for the day and or before you shoot it again be sure to wipe all previous grease off and re-apply fresh as the grease is a magnet for grime/grit which will wear away on metal surfaces quicker if you don't.

Back