Nevada resident new to the forum

Snowcock

Stumbled across this forum as I was thinking of going up to Idaho and hunt some old pheasant areas this Fall.
Prior resident of Michigan and Idaho and now leaving in Winter-less weather of Southern Nevada. I have hunted ever Upland species in lower 48 and even bagged the 'holy grail' of upland bird hunting,The Himalayan Snow cock of the Ruby Mountains in Nevada in 2016. I have four Setters, Three English and a Gordon. Retired, my life concentrates on staying in shape (hike 10 miles day) planning hunts and exploring new areas. Will hunt the Snow cock opener in just over two weeks, my 8th time back-packing in for Snow cock, it was my goal to do this hunt once more as I turned 65 this year. Looking forward to a few days above 10,000 feet. Time for the mid-day hike before the temp reaches 100.

Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have an aggressive hunt planned for a 65 year old. More power to you! I'm 76 and can't do near as much as I could when I was 65, so "getter done" while you can. Be sure to post some pics of your Snow Cock hunt. Also, let's see some pics of your dogs. I almost bought a started Gordon a few years ago from a guy in Idaho. Do you know Tom Loy from Boise?

Kale the Gordon 8 yo, the sisters Kimber and Kenzie 5yo and Kyla 12 yo, Kyla pointed a snow cock in 2019 a feat probably few dogs have done.
Tough to get dogs to sit still in 100 degree heat.

My wife bought the Gordon out of Salt Lake City area, she is a small strain Gordon, my first Gordon, Sage was a Michigan dog weighted probably 60 lbs he was excellent on Chukar, Kale is 40# and has developed gun shyness, but a good watchdog.

Always glad to answer questions about Western Bird hunting for anyone asking

Kale the Gordon 8 yo, the sisters Kimber and Kenzie 5yo and Kyla 12 yo, Kyla pointed a snow cock in 2019 a feat probably few dogs have done.
Tough to get dogs to sit still in 100 degree heat.

My wife bought the Gordon out of Salt Lake City area, she is a small strain Gordon, my first Gordon, Sage was a Michigan dog weighted probably 60 lbs he was excellent on Chukar, Kale is 40# and has developed gun shyness, but a good watchdog.

Always glad to answer questions about Western Bird hunting for anyone asking
Met a guy last year on a public walk with a team of Gordon setters. Dogs ran hard and were very attractive, he was dropping 4 at a time.

My first Setters were a pair of English males, Manfred and Sebastian, my wife and I hunted over them in at least 6 states, in pursuit of at least 16 species of upland. Both are buried in Michigan. Moved to Idaho with five Setters in 2007, Dogs then were Challis and Scalie , they were standard English, also a large Ryman strain, named Trae, little Cheyenne a wonderful Llewellyn and Sage the 60# Gordon, most had a decade of the most wonderful bird hunting a dog or a hunter could enjoy. Sage and Sharptails, Chukar and Huns, Valley quail, the Forest grouse Blues,Spruce and Ruffed and of course trips to the Southern part of the state for Pheasant and Quail. All are buried on a long Talus slope in a canyon where the Chukar call all day and perch on their rocky graves. Now life is in the desert of Nevada, learning all over again new places, new terrain and even a new bird with Mountain quail yet to be bagged. Although Kimber pointed one last Winter the old man was just too slow on the swing.................Kimber and 12 year old Kyla will get the call for an extended hunting trip this Fall back up to Idaho for Pheasant and Valley quail, Chukar and Huns in NE Nevada.

Back