Need some advice

320Tim

I am looking at getting a dog to hunt behind. Any suggestions on which breed would be best for me. Here are some stats. I live in town-decent sized lot 1/3ac.-I will hunt mostly upland grasses not much marsh-weekend hunter only-I will need something that dosent require alot of attn because of my work schedule. Any input would be great. Thanks in advance

Tim,

I will be the first to open up this can of worms.

I have a lab because I hunt a lot of heavy cover. I have heard that short hairs may not have the same willingness to do that. I also like the versatility between upland and waterfowl. I have heard that some use pointers for waterfowl. Labs have great dispositions and are very adaptable. I like the excitement of watching my dog flush a bird ( sometimes when I least expect it.)

If you hunt in short grass then maybe a pointer is for you. I have heard that pointers sometimes get to a stage of boredom during the day and may engage in some form of destructive behaviour.ie) barking, chewing. This may not work for your schedule.

Good luck and I'm sure the other members will have lots of good input.

Warner

Tim,

I own a 3 1/2 year old pointing lab and I feel as is if I got the best of both worlds!! I live in town and this dog couldn't be better with my two infent kids. However, you stated that you don't have much time, you need to know that any dog you buy is going to take "time" if you want it to amount to anything. Good luck.

Steve

Fall2006082.jpg

Oct2006040.jpg

Vizsla. Wonderful little dogs that do great in the house and love to ride in the cab of the truck with you. Great family dogs. Close range pointing dogs that can do double duty with retrieving waterfowl as long as the water is not too cold.

I second the Vizsla as I have one and they are great hunting dogs that will lay on the couch and enough energy to run all day in the field.

I like Brittanies

I have had two Brittanies and loved them in and out of the field. They require little training and pick up hand signals. They are pointers and you let them range to find the birds. Mine held point solid as a rock so I just walked to the point unhurriedly. They are great house pets, but do not like being left alone in outdoor kennels. They will escape from kennels if left alone and howl in loneliness.

I would say that a pointer or shorthair is going to be your best bet. Not that others aren't quite capable but you have to factor in a few things. First off there are many lines of Vizlas that aren't hunting lines. Second a field bred Vizla can be pricey. Not that you can't afford it but just factors to consider. The same can be said for labs. A lot of folks are backyard breeders where labs are concerned and if you don't do your homework with labs then you can end up with a lab that has a lot of health problems. Britts are great but if you're a novice with not a lot of birddog knowledge britts can be soft and can easily be ruined. A good britt is tough to beat though. I like pointers for the simple fact they are affordable and you can take just about any litter of pointers and get a birddog out of it. The same cannot be said for a lot of other breeds. Plus pointers are pretty darn tough and can tolerate a novice handler making mistakes with them and they tend to bounce back a little better. I would also recommend a male. Simple fact is this, female dogs are the same as female women. They want to know what's in it for them before they do it. Male dogs are just like male humans. They do it and don't really care.

Please, do NOT get a Vizsla if, as you say, you require a dog that doesn't need a lot of attention. ALL Vizsla's require a lot of attention, and excercise. I have one, and several of my friends do as well. I can tell you that they desire as much attention as you can give them. I am not saying they are demanding about it, but they thrive incredibly well, just like any dog would, with good interaction and excercise. I also know someone that should not own any dog, and unfortunately he owns two Vizslas. It is sad to see the difference in personalities of these dogs compared to the others I know, including mine. He doesn't have the time or desire to spend time with them every day. He is very short with them and does not have the tolerence to train them properly either. They seem disconnected from his family and never act as if they are doing aything correctly. I have been fortunate to have had Labs, Springers most of my adult life and now a Vizsla. I am also lucky enough to live where I can run him off leash every day, and do just that. I hunt with him as frequently as I can, take him on flyfishing trips in my drift boat, and hiking as well. I can't think of a sporting dog that doesn't require a lot of attention in order for them to feel fulfilled. Not trying to judge anyone here, or start an argument, but please do not by a dog (especially a Vizsla) to hunt once and and awhile and leave them in a kennel other than that. It really isn't fair to the dog. Sorry this turned into a lengthy post. I didn't itend it to be that way. I guess I just have very strong feelings about dogs getting enough attention, after putting up with us the way they have to. :D

Just my opinion!

I am partial to German Shorthairs. Dependable, do not require constant training, good companions, obedient and at times opinionated. Easy to maintain and great in the upland field. Plus you cannot find a cuter puppy.

phird05 -- Second that on Vizslas

I've got a 13 month old Vizsla that is a truly great dog, but I completely underestimated his energy level before getting him. I don't regret it, but he has definitely caused some adjustments around the house. We send him to doggy daycare twice a week, I hunt him once or twice a week, and I or my wife take him for a run or a bike ride at least one more time plus odd trips to the dog park. I live on 1/3 of an acre and there is no way that is enough for him.

Apart from that he chews, a lot. Plan on going through a lot of toys.

That said, he has a wonderful and loving disposition and is absolutely tireless in the field so far. He handles so well already I'm amazed and is always out in front of me exploring. He stays pretty close and loves the sound of shotguns. He's also been a natural retriever, at least with sticks and balls. Birds are next.

But the poster who said he lays on the couch...I'll be back here to post the first time that happens for me. Eat the couch maybe....:D

Vizsla's

I agree with phird05 please do not get a Viz. They love attention and are great hunting dogs for upland. You must train any dog for it to be good. If you don't have the time to devote to any dog please don't get one.

Back