Need help with raccoon removal

Edward Charette

I own a pretty large farm. Off late my farm has been on constant attack from raccoons destroying my crops and bird feeders are empty, with trash cans knocked over with trash. I am tired of raccoons' mess and damage? I tried all my DIY tricks with not much result. So thinking of taking the services of some wild removal services like a1 checkmate(http://removethewild.com/services/). Can anyone suggest such services which would ensure complete removal of these raccoons. How do you guys smoke them out of your farms? Need urgent help. Anticipating fast help.

With fur prices at a all time low, you most likely wont get a trapper to come in, paying for a service can get expensive pretty quick. I would set traps myself, keep your pets put up so they don't get caught in any traps. Raccoons as you know will do a lot of damage and its my guess that you don't have herds of them maybe 10-12, that are doing all of the damage. Read up a bit on types of traps, get a dozen you can order them on line, bait them up with canned tuna, sardines, or chicken parts. The traps will last you a lifetime. This would be my course of action as a farmer you don't have the time to try and track them down. Best of luck.

Where are you located? There are a couple guys around here that do a pretty good job. PM me if you want details.

I own a pretty large farm. Off late my farm has been on constant attack from raccoons destroying my crops and bird feeders are empty, with trash cans knocked over with trash. I am tired of raccoons' mess and damage? I tried all my DIY tricks with not much result. So thinking of taking the services of some wild removal services like a1 checkmate(http://removethewild.com/services/). Can anyone suggest such services which would ensure complete removal of these raccoons. How do you guys smoke them out of your farms? Need urgent help. Anticipating fast help.

The site you referenced says they must release them unharmed within close proximity so that is no help at all.

I suggest getting a few of these and some cat food.

http://www.havahart.com/large-1-door-animal-trap-2-pack

This type of trap won't harm any animals caught by mistake (i.e. the neighbors cat) as long as you check them frequently. Once you have a raccoon in the trap you can dispatch it in a suitable manner.

Jerry

I have been trapping the masked bandit for most of the last 45 years. I've never used the dog-proof traps but, from what I've heard, these are almost as simple as it gets. Stake them down with 1/2 inch rebar stakes and knock your population down. The same catalog has bait for them or you can use fish flavored cat food. At $4 per finished raccoon pelt or less, trappers are not going to be as easy to attract. If you supplement, many would. You didn't say where you were from, but a call to the local wildlife officer might get you some contacts locally. Also, if you go on youtube.com, you can watch plenty of videos on how to trap raccoons.
http://www.minntrapprod.com/FB2-Freedom-Brand-Dog-Proof-Trap/productinfo/FB2_DP/

Last edited:
Before you work on getting someone in there to trap try to find where the coons are coming from. I have the same issue on a farm I hunt. Coyotes have been taken care of but the coons are terrible due to some brush piles and abandoned buildings.

So you have some prime "breeding ground" for them and it isn't removed, you'll have to go through this for a few years until you're trapper(s) really get a handle on them. Even then, they'll come back in good number if they have the same habitat to help their numbers explode.

Good luck.;)

Any houndsmen in your area? Offer to let them on your land. A couple good hounds will get them in check pretty quick.

We used old houses for a grainery and they used to get into the barley. We would leave the door open, then sneak out there very quietly in the middle of the night, hit the spotlight and go to clubbing. Weeds them out real quick, Many times we would get 10 or more in a night. If there are some adventurous kids around, let them have at it.

Back