Nebraska

i went to nebraska 2-3 times this spring turkey hunting or passing through on way home and i seen and herd more pheasants and quail then any other yr i hunted turkey in neb thats like 10-11 yrs

seen & herd them in places i didnt think a ring neck could live i think u mite be surprized with what u kick up this fall... i will be heading down to nebraska come dec-jan to hunt pheasant quail and prairie grouse with my turkey buddy & some of my family it was nothing to kick up and seen 20-30 + quail a day while turkey hunting non stop bob white whistleing was music to my ears...

Pheasant Hunting In Nebraska

I have just joined the Ultimate Pheasant Hunting forum. I am a hunter from Toronto, Canada. My son and I are planning a pheasant hunting trip to Nebraska. I'm 60 years old and my son is 30 years old. We are planning to drive down with our English Springer Spaniel.

I would like to know about pheasant hunting areas in Nebraska and I'm open to suggestions. Please advise me and my son. Much appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely, Trio

Just curious why you chose Nebraska? It has been tough for me there this season, farmers have plowed up a lot of habitat for corn and the bird population is suffering as a result. Thanksgiving weekend I never seen another hunter which showed me things are tough going there this season. I personally would try KS if it were me, more public land to hunt by far there.

How about N.Dakota or S.Dakota? By far more opportunity, and a lot closer to Canada.

I am new in the field of pheasant hunting in the USA. Any info is greatly appreciated and if there any info you would like about hunting in Canada,
let me know. The reason I choose Nebraska is that I was in the plastic industry and we had a customer in Omaha Nebraska. The company is Airlite Plastics.

I would agree. By going to nebraska from canada you are bypassing two better states to hunt in. You can get all your info off of their fish and game websites. I would rather hunt public in SD/ND now than to hunt private in Neb/Kansas this year anyway.

Which of the two states "SD/ND" would you recommend? This will be our first experience hunting pheasants in USA. Would you recommend any county?

Agree that either SD or ND (southwest part of state) would be far better choices than Nebraska. I am originally from NE and still hunt there occasionally because it is relatively close. Otherwise, I personally would not travel very far to hunt the state. It used to be a pheasant mecca, but as someone already mentioned we're talking 30+ years ago.

Despite some good work by Pheasants Forever, other groups and a relative few landowners to provide some good cover for the birds, a majority of landowners in NE have progressively dismantled most of the habitat that pheasants and quail depend on - this has accelerated over the last 5 years or so especially. This same scenario is sadly playing out across the pheasant range of the entire US, even the Dakota's. A number of factors have and continue to conspire against quality, publicly-accessible pheasant hunting in this country. It all comes down to continually declining habitat and wild pheasant populations. The future is not rosy except for those who have the dollars to pay for private access.

So yea, go to ND or SD and enjoy some pheasant hunting and do it while you can. ;)

Back