Nebraska Public Access

Does the state put out a map or is it just what is in the hunting atlas? I see they list the public hunting locations but that is a little difficult to navigate by. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Others may have more info but the Atlas is what the state puts out regarding public access land. I generally use other maps like the DeLorme Nebraska atlas in conjunction with it.

As an aside, the amount of public access land in Nebraska has dwindled considerably in recent years - as is the case with similar programs in other states. :mad:

Others may have more info but the Atlas is what the state puts out regarding public access land. I generally use other maps like the DeLorme Nebraska atlas in conjunction with it.

As an aside, the amount of public access land in Nebraska has dwindled considerably in recent years - as is the case with similar programs in other states. :mad:

I think my negative comment about public access land in Nebraska was unwarranted. I have heard and read good things about Nebraska's Open Fields and Waters program - Pheasants Forever went so far as to commend it as a model program :thumbsup:

I think my negative comment about public access land in Nebraska was unwarranted. I have heard and read good things about Nebraska's Open Fields and Waters program - Pheasants Forever went so far as to commend it as a model program :thumbsup:

There is less public access than ever due to habitat destruction. Some Wma's are quite good but overrun with hunters who have nowhere else to go. Opening weekend is a joke when it comes to hunting on public access. The number of hunters outnumber the number of birds.

There is less public access than ever due to habitat destruction. Some Wma's are quite good but overrun with hunters who have nowhere else to go. Opening weekend is a joke when it comes to hunting on public access. The number of hunters outnumber the number of birds.

Not sure where in NE you are referring to, but I did not find this to be true on a recent hunt in the Panhandle. I know it's January but I found some great habitat, decent numbers of birds, and never saw another hunter in two days covering a lot of miles.

I'm sure there are areas that are over-crowded and overall cannot argue about the habitat destruction. We all need to support and advocate the reversal of this trend....

Pheasants and habitat in eastern ne

The bulk of the hunters live in eastern Nebraska where habitat has been decimated. Why would anyone want to go to the panhandle since South Dakota is closer. I don't believe there is very much public acces in the panhandle either.

Sbode,

Where I live the Panhandle is close that's why I go there and yes there is some good public land in some areas. I feel the pain about eastern NE. BEEN several years since I've been there and I'm sure I 'd be shocked at the habitat loss. I hope more folks wake up as to what's happening and raise hell about the situation. You know what they say about the squeaky wheel.

the farm producers hold sway over what little upland game is left.....unless any of these guys are conservation minded, you can forget it.

the farm producers hold sway over what little upland game is left.....unless any of these guys are conservation minded, you can forget it.

Well that may be the case now, but it ain't over til' its over. In the meantime those of us that enjoy and appreciate the outdoors need to stand up for our interests - support organizations that give us a voice.

In time those producers who view conservation as not necessary or as an annoyance will be proven wrong and short-sighted. The long-term health of our land and water (and wildlife) depends on sound conservation measures, and future generations deserve no less. Look at a state like Minnesota that is doing some good things these days for conservation and wildlife.

Overall I agree farm producers are no where near this transformation of attitude and thinking about conservation and upland wildlife continue to suffer because of it. But at some point there will be a change born out of necessity or even catastrophy :mad:

Back