NE Iowa ??

StoegerP3000

Hey ya'll. I'm new to this forum, and frankly new to shooting birds. I live in Waverly (think Waterloo if you aren't familiar with the town). I guess my question is, can I find some decent pheasant land East of I-35, and north of Hwy 20 in NE Iowa? Seems like when anybody talks about pheasants, it's western Iowa towards the Dakotas.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ryan

Do you have a dog? I live near Charles city. Between my son and myself, 70 birds this year. Late season after heavy snows are rewarding. Public ground has little pressure with knee deep snow. Be prepared to WORK for birds. Not great numbers up here, but I have no reason to travel or pay to find good hunting. Good luck.

Thread: NE Iowa ?? Reply to Thread

You will not have to go far to get into some birds. Check out Butler County and Franklin County. My advice is go to the Iowa DNR website and look for the public hunting areas in either of those two counties. Butler County has some good IHAP areas too.

This is good news Number17 and NC IA Tail Chaser. When studying the Roadside Survey, I assumed I would need to over to Hancock and Wright Counties. If I understand you guys correctly, Floyd, Butler and Franklin County public hunting ground will be low preasured, with enough birds....I do have an 8 year old GSP-Lab mix that flushes birds when we walk through CRP. She is a retrieving champ, with a great nose....but has never hunted. My goal this summer is to get her use to gun shot, and see if she can't be my bird dog this fall.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate your feedback.

This is good news Number17 and NC IA Tail Chaser. When studying the Roadside Survey, I assumed I would need to over to Hancock and Wright Counties. If I understand you guys correctly, Floyd, Butler and Franklin County public hunting ground will be low preasured, with enough birds....I do have an 8 year old GSP-Lab mix that flushes birds when we walk through CRP. She is a retrieving champ, with a great nose....but has never hunted. My goal this summer is to get her use to gun shot, and see if she can't be my bird dog this fall.

Any other suggestions? I appreciate your feedback.

anyone? how do the conditions look for bird reproduction this summer?

Back