NDGF bird count

Game and Fish Summarizes Pheasant Brood Data

North Dakota’s roadside pheasant survey conducted in late July and August indicates total birds and number of broods are down statewide from 2016.

R.J. Gross, upland game management biologist for the North Dakota Game and Fish Department, said the survey shows total pheasants observed per 100 miles are down 61 percent from last year. In addition, brood observations were down 63 percent, while the average brood size was down 19 percent. The final summary is based on 279 survey runs made along 103 brood routes across North Dakota.

“Brood data suggests very poor production this spring when compared to 2016, which results in less young birds added to the fall population,” Gross said. “The majority of the state was in extreme drought conditions during critical times for pheasant chicks. This resulted in poor nesting/brood habitat and more than likely a less than ideal insect hatch.”

Statistics from southwestern North Dakota indicate total pheasants were down 59 percent and broods observed down 60 percent from 2016. Observers counted eight broods and 68 birds per 100 survey miles. The average brood size was 4.3.

Results from the southeast show birds are down 60 percent from last year, and the number of broods down 70 percent. Observers counted two broods and 24 birds per 100 miles. The average brood size was 4.7.

Statistics from the northwest indicated pheasants are down 72 percent from last year, with broods are down 76 percent. Observers recorded three broods and 24 birds per 100 miles. Average brood size was 5.2.

The northeast district, generally containing secondary pheasant habitat, with much of it lacking good winter cover, showed one brood and six birds per 100 miles. Average brood size was 3.5. Number of birds observed was down 54 percent, and the number of broods recorded was down 63 percent.

The 2017 regular pheasant season opens Oct. 7 and continues through Jan. 7, 2018. The two-day youth pheasant hunting weekend, when legally licensed residents and nonresidents ages 15 and younger can hunt statewide, is set for Sept. 30 and Oct. 1.

We were in ND in late August, staying in Dickinson. I haven't pheasant hunted in ND and wanted to see what the country looked like, some of the popular sites that others have reported.

We started our tour at I90, south on rt 23 to rt 21. Headed east on 21 to Mott and Burt. Did not observe any birds until we were within 5-8 miles of Mott and saw only a few. We headed back to Dickinson, north on the "enchanted highway".

Ditch and general field conditions looked bleak, until we were within 10 miles of Mott; this general area appeared to be in fair condition compared to our tour on 23 and 21.

This investigation was conducted during the afternoon and the likelihood of seeing birds is minimal...

Last edited:
After six years hunting SD this was to be our groups first trip to SW ND. As luck would have it our normal spots in SD are in horrible condition also. Really sad!!

other than report the counts, what is the biologist doing to help reverse this trend? it appears he is just a reporter.......

damn is that hard to read. are any of you able to find the full report? I've searched for just about everything i can think of and can only find the summary that the NDGAF provides, rather than the full detailed PDF report that you can find for MN or SD.

Anybody able to find this?

In past years, NDG&F has only put the summary out. The entire state has been in a terrible drought the entire summer and there is no relief in sight. I do not know of much that a Biologist can do to reverse severe drought conditions during prime nesting season. The Farm Bill will be renewed in 2018 which will be the only thing that can possibly save the numbers in the long run. Hopefully they will up the CRP cap and it will not be 40 years before we see the bird numbers come back like they were in the early 2000's. I feel really fortunate that I was able to experience the hunting in those days and will be dang sure to appreciate every rooster, grouse, and hun flush from now on. The weather will eventually swing back in the bird's favor and hopefully we will be smart enough to have enough grass out there for them. I have heard stories of the bad winter in the late 90's that decimated the bird numbers, and fortunately there was plenty of grass in the following years to help them come back. Same scenario but different weather event, call and/or write your Representatives and Senators or I am afraid it is not going to be good.

The drought actually subsided considerably in August and ND is much better off at least in the Eastern half of the state. The problem is the drought was at its worst when pheasant chicks were hatching and reliant on insect hatches that simply did not occur. Pheasant chicks need protein the first few weeks of life ... in addition, there just isn't much else out there seed wise that time of year.

Maybe there is a late hatch ... often occurs when we have a really wet and cold May/June. Not sure about dry ... If a pheasant hen has even one chick in tow, she will not renest.

NDG&F has never published detailed information about brood counts or numbers on specific areas / counties.

At one time they may have provided information on 5 or 6 regions instead of the current 4 quadrants. NDG&F is very careful not to be the reason an area becomes "overrun" with hunters.

By the way ... the MN map is subjective at best. I have done well in poor & fair areas and had poor days in good areas. Most years if you are in MN's main pheasant range and hunting decent habitat ... you should do fine. Running to the good area is not always the wisest decision.

Bird Count

I guess the best thing I can say is that at least this isn't my first year of hunting NW North Dakota (it will be my second:)
70% less birds will mean alot of boot leather/rubber will get worn out this year. I'm really glad I got to experience the good hunting that my son and I had last year, and still can't wait to get to spend another week with him and his grandpa next month chasing roosters. There will be fewer birds in the freezer, but getting that time out there with them is worth way more than any number of birds.
31 days and we will be on the road to Crosby, and I can't wait!

I heard June and July were brutal, August got better but it's starting to get dry again. Long term forecast calls for the dry weather into November. It does look like there will be some moisture moving in the next couple of weeks. Hopefully this will not span over a couple of summers.

I just had a long conversation with the outfitter that I booked with, and after an honest look at the situation we both agreed that it would be better to cancel than to have a poor experience, especially since this would have been our first trip. I'm disappointed, but having watched the weather since last December, knew this was looking likely. Tough call, but wise call.

Have learned ND reports are a general standpoint are honest. Dry weather means no insects and young birds do not survive. Will still hunt but with low expectations. May do a more waterfowl hunting this fall.

Do you mean, what is the biologist doing to change the weather? Idiotic

missed it genius ......not sure we need a biologist to verify the weather had negatively impacted repro.....along with the loss of more habitat...these guys go to meetings and speak to groups, mostly sunshine pumpers who try to support license sales and their position.

I do not know where your position came from NDG&F's report but after 16 years of going to ND, I am going elsewhere. I do have first hand reports to base my decision on though. Stop blaming others...this is all of our problem to overcome.

Back