ND Upland Hunting and Snares

Snares

Very thoughtful of the guy who wrote it and of BRITTMAN for posting it! I always carry cutters.

I saw a coyote in a snare last Dec. in so. Dakota. At first I wondered what dog from our group was across the fence, standing 200 yards away from the pond we were hunting... I realized what it was, and asked a companion to hold my dog, I was going to walk over to KILL the coyote, to put it out of his Misery. I began covering the 200 yards the yote, went to high dancing!!!

as I walked over, somehow it got out... I don't know if it was leg caught, and pulled its foot off or???

Today I went to the hard ware store , and bought some high dollar, cable cutters... I always carry a leatherman, but I know it WONT SAVE a dog caught, that is pulling... too hard.

Swiss made FELCO C7 cutters are considered the best made. Can purchase locally if looking around ... Amazon has them.

The cutters made in China appear to be substandard quality by the trappers and others using them.

Snares and traps

Thank you so much for posting that article! It was unbelievable! In 18 trips to North Dakota I had no clue that I should be worried about this kind of stuff! I'm buying short nose cable cutters basically similar to what I would use to rig offshore trolling lures, and carrying them with me from now on! Thanks again!

Lazlo's back! I was wondering if you still lived and breathed! Haven't been to your neck of North Dakota in 2 or 3 years. Last year I totaled my Tundra near Ellendale, when a deer stepped out in the road just before light on a rainy morning. This year, I hunted southern Iowa instead. Less pheasants, but a few quail mixed in, and half the distance of my normal SD/ND hunts. Fun hunt.

Hope to see you again in the frozen north one day.

Pope

Wow!
Haven't been on in a long time...
Good to hear from you.
Hunting wasn't good this year at all.
Now with 3 freezing rains and picking up birds by the road
with eyes frozen shut next year doesn't look good.
Lots of land turned to crops.
Let's keep in touch

Back