ND Game Farms?

2XCOCKERS

Haven't had any luck in my searches for game farms in ND. Am I missing something with regulations? I can find tons of guided hunts, but nothing for game farms. Even game farm listing sites don't show any, and if they do it pops up guided hunt sites. I'd appreciate if anybody knows of any in ND and specifically around Bismarck!

Nevermind, had to dig deeper and use word legal in my search. It became illegal 5 years ago to kill captive animals unless animal control (extreme paraphrase). Could a mod please delete this thread lol? Dunno how I feel about this, MN has them and wish we did here in ND. Really don't have any way to train a pup besides feathers, deadfowl dummy, yard training, birds/miles, all while not paying to train a dog professionally. Even here in ND I guess trainers couldn't use live birds to shoot, only release for prey drive. Got my 5.5 month old pup out this past Sunday and he chased up 2 roosters...had the prey drive to chase after them! I guess I can't complain too much since he had birds. Was strictly working on seeing birds and gun training with my .22 revolver. The crappy thing is though I have to do this all during my hunting time because I can't train dogs on public land out of the season. So then i'd have to get permission/buy land which i'm not afraid to do but dang!

Last edited:
Nevermind, had to dig deeper and use word legal in my search. It became illegal 5 years ago to kill captive animals unless animal control (extreme paraphrase). Could a mod please delete this thread lol? Dunno how I feel about this, MN has them and wish we did here in ND. Really don't have any way to train a pup besides feathers, deadfowl dummy, yard training, birds/miles, all while not paying to train a dog professionally. Even here in ND I guess trainers couldn't use live birds to shoot, only release for prey drive. Got my 5.5 month old pup out this past Sunday and he chased up 2 roosters...had the prey drive to chase after them! I guess I can't complain too much since he had birds. Was strictly working on seeing birds and gun training with my .22 revolver. The crappy thing is though I have to do this all during my hunting time because I can't train dogs on public land out of the season. So then i'd have to get permission/buy land which i'm not afraid to do but dang![/QUOT

this sounds like bullshit.....i have trained with pen raised quail, in Texas, Kansas, Nebraska and Iowa......with a receipt and leg bands i have always felt legal and with permission have found places to train, even sometimes without shooting, but within the law.

Nevermind, had to dig deeper and use word legal in my search. It became illegal 5 years ago to kill captive animals unless animal control (extreme paraphrase). Could a mod please delete this thread lol? Dunno how I feel about this, MN has them and wish we did here in ND. Really don't have any way to train a pup besides feathers, deadfowl dummy, yard training, birds/miles, all while not paying to train a dog professionally. Even here in ND I guess trainers couldn't use live birds to shoot, only release for prey drive. Got my 5.5 month old pup out this past Sunday and he chased up 2 roosters...had the prey drive to chase after them! I guess I can't complain too much since he had birds. Was strictly working on seeing birds and gun training with my .22 revolver. The crappy thing is though I have to do this all during my hunting time because I can't train dogs on public land out of the season. So then i'd have to get permission/buy land which i'm not afraid to do but dang!

i have land 40 miles from bismarck, if you need some land to train your dog. send me a PM.

There are pheasant hunting preserves in NoDak. I guess I will not post the names since they are not sponsors here.

For that matter there was / may still be elk and deer hunting preserves ... if not, that is what the legislation was attempting to prohibit. Too much risk of CWD from captive elk and deer herds.

Unless things have changed, you can train dogs (run them) on public land beginning around August 16th. Ask the NDG&F. see my next post

Dog training on public land is forbidden April 1 - July 15/August 1 ... again, unless things have changed in North Dakota.

Last edited:
2XCockers: I stand corrected. August 15th now

From the NDG&F site:

Dogs. No person may conduct, permit, or carry out field trials for dogs on any wildlife management area without first obtaining a permit from the director or the director?s designee.

Training of bird and gun dogs is prohibited April 1 through August 15 on all wildlife management areas.

Training of dogs on any wildlife management areas by a professional trainer is prohibited at all times. Any person other than a professional trainer who violates this section is guilty of a noncriminal offense and shall pay a $100 fee.

You will need to look up the USF&WS rules if going to a WPA.

Back