My Sage Grouse Hunt

The season is already over?? Nice pic and thanks for sharing. I have never made it out for that. Just not sure were to go. I mean I have heard that in or around Gunnison or Blue Mesa, however not sure.

I know guys don't like to give up there "honey holes" so I won't ask.

Sorry didn't realize that you were in California. Thought this was Colorado thread forum.

The Sage Grouse here are far and few between.

Are they pretty gamey? I have heard they were, dark meat, of course they are "sage" grouse, right?

I would just like to take my dog, flush em, knock one down and have him retireve it.

If it wasn't for my dog, I probably would't do much bird hunting at all.

Sorry didn't realize that you were in California. Thought this was Colorado thread forum.

The Sage Grouse here are far and few between.

Are they pretty gamey? I have heard they were, dark meat, of course they are "sage" grouse, right?

I would just like to take my dog, flush em, knock one down and have him retireve it.

If it wasn't for my dog, I probably would't do much bird hunting at all.

retrvman, I was just commenting on the OP's great hunt. No apologies necessary. I wish were had more here too.

sage grouse are excellent table fair. If you dont shoot the biggest ones. Big one require pressure cookers, or steel teeth. :)

SWEET pic!!! Looks like you had a really good time! :coolpics:

Always wanted to add a couple sage grouse to my list, maybe someday...

The season is already over?? Nice pic and thanks for sharing. I have never made it out for that. Just not sure were to go. I mean I have heard that in or around Gunnison or Blue Mesa, however not sure.

Don't hunt them in Gunny cause they will throw the book at you!!!!! The DOW says it is a seperate Grouse and call it the Gunnison sage grouse and there is not a season on them at all there!!!!!

My spot truely is a "Honey Hole". We didnt talk to anyone including the DWM & Bio for the area that had bagged or even seen birds! We shot these within 200 yards of where I first shot Sage Grouse almost 10 years ago so my lips are SEALED!!!
:cool:

My spot truely is a "Honey Hole". We didnt talk to anyone including the DWM & Bio for the area that had bagged or even seen birds! We shot these within 200 yards of where I first shot Sage Grouse almost 10 years ago so my lips are SEALED!!!
:cool:

Good for you...I know it is nice to have places like that. I have places like that for ducks and geese in Colorado and pheasant in Kansas. I get my limit all the time with my labs hunting ducks and geese and the pheasant we shoot our limit almost daily there which is 4 birds a day.

I hunted ptarmigan on snow shoes while stationed up in Alaska and shot grouse up there and we had our honey holes also.....

Greg

Back