My pups first pheasant retrieve???

3car

The good thing is she retrieved 2 pheasants the other day. The bad thing is they were pheasant eggs probably from a nest next to the house. Any suggestions on breaking this habit other than saying "no" when I catch her?

I would be careful when correcting her around pheasant scent, especially if that's the game bird you wish to pursue. I think a bigger problem is she's hunting for herself and not for you at this time.

What did she do with the eggs? Were they broken?

I would be careful when correcting her around pheasant scent, especially if that's the game bird you wish to pursue. I think a bigger problem is she's hunting for herself and not for you at this time.

What did she do with the eggs? Were they broken?

No she didn't break them just brought them back to the house. I would guess eventually she would have wrecked them. I tried finding the nest to replace them back in the nest bowl but no luck.

I think I would let this one slide, too many negative outcomes! I'd try to keep her confined until nesting has subsided and control any interactions with pheasant scent to the feathered type. This isn't a disaster so treat it as it is. She likes them and thinks you like them too! That's a good foundation!!! Control the dog and you control the situation. This will pass by itself.

I am slowly turning my yard into a high diversity native planting. Pretty sure that's were she found the nest but that's also my training area for her. It provides some better cover for training and the pheasants like it as well.

Saves on mowing too! I've been in the public land management business for so long that I could finish my life without ever wanting to mow again! Having a training site just out the door leads to better dogs come fall! I miss that!

Back