My Minnesota trip

quail hound

So do to the bad reports and drought in SD and MT and the drumming counts from MN I decided to try my hand at grouse hunting. Unfortunately it looks like the drumming counts were misleading but here I am anyways making the best of my 2,000mi (one way) trip. We were skunked the first day, only saw three grouse. Yesterday we saw five grouse but got no shots, we did happen into a big flight of woodcock though and filled our bag. Today we saw 10 grouse and I was able to shoot a bird over both dogs. I definitely see the allure of the North woods. Pics coming soon.

Also, it's late October in Minnesota and I have been running the a.c. in my hotel room and truck. What's with this weather?

Last edited:
So do to the bad reports and drought in SD and MT and the drumming counts from MN I decided to try my hand at grouse hunting. Unfortunately it looks like the drumming counts were misleading but here I am anyways making the best of my 2,000mi (one way) trip. We were skunked the first day, only saw three grouse. Yesterday we saw five grouse but got no shots, we did happen into a big flight of woodcock though and filled our bag. Today we saw 10 grouse and I was able to shoot a bird over both dogs. I definitely see the allure of the North woods. Pics coming soon.

Also, it's late October in Minnesota and I have been running the a.c. in my hotel room and truck. What's with this weather?

Just read a grouse report in the paper this morning (MN) and they said the early drumming was misleading - not as many birds as they thought!

Supposed to be 80 today in Minneapolis - global warming?

Good luck with the rest of your hunt.

Where in the North are you at? If around the Effie area give a call we are at our cabin on Deer Lake catching walleyes, and small mouth. To hot to hunt for a couple days.

Great photo's Robert - really like the one with the dog on top of the log.

Let us know how you fared with the pheasants. The counties that border SD seem to have some pheasants. Consider Traverse, Big Stone and Swift. I assume yo have the MNDNR map book that shows the public stuff...

Good Luck. Let us know how you fared.

Too bad didn't get in touch earlier, and rerouted you a bet further North to our cabin. The hunting would have been about the same, but in this heat the fishing has been good. Over 20 walleyes today, and several small mouth largest smallie was 21".

Robert, if you head to west central or SW Minnesota to hunt pheasants let me know. I have a MN license. Or if you come through Watertown, SD on your way home stop for a quick visit. Not sure if you still have my cell number. If not, let me know and I'll send it to you in a PM.

We hunted some WIA and WPA land in Clay county, maybe a little too far north but that's where we ended up. Hunted until about 1pm and saw four roosters and three hens. No shots but the pup got some decent work in on her first pheasant hunt, she pointed one hen and one rooster that ran and flushed wild. The dogs said they had some more fields in them but I didn't, I'm beat!

Maybe next time George, boss called and asked if I could be home Wednesday to pave so I'm heading home.

View attachment 7565

We hunted some WIA and WPA land in Clay county, maybe a little too far north but that's where we ended up. Hunted until about 1pm and saw four roosters and three hens. No shots but the pup got some decent work in on her first pheasant hunt, she pointed one hen and one rooster that ran and flushed wild. The dogs said they had some more fields in them but I didn't, I'm beat!

Maybe next time George, boss called and asked if I could be home Wednesday to pave so I'm heading home.

View attachment 7565

You're a little far north, but at least you saw some birds. Had a friend that lived in that area, back in the 50's and he always shot birds after school, in the Fergus Falls area.

Have a safe trip home - too bad you couldn't stop and hunt with us next weekend; the big slough is waiting just for you!

Hunted grouse / woodcock up there last year. Moved 28 grouse and a woodcock in 3 days. Shot 1 , LOL. Tough , thick woods up there but definitely a neat area!

Certainly not the peak this year.

Grouse hunting last year was much better hunting in birds found and birds taken.

Glad you had success !!!

Clay County is definitely on the northern edge of MN pheasant country.

Pretty good prairie chicken hunting though for residents that draw that permit / license.

We assume our risks when making trip plans based on these reports. I've always been a bit skeptical about drumming reports since it's really only a glimpse of pre breeding bird numbers. Sure, carry over birds are a big part of a good season but we all know that big broods are the real indicator. I talked to a handful of locals that said they saw very few broods this spring.

Back