my journey today

alan

left my house at 12:00 going to hunt this area close to my home and just outside city limits and public hunting with lots and lots of cover and food abound but not one bird to be seen... heres just a few pics of what i walked through some of the weeds was just as tall as me...

here is a partch of weeds that go all around this place no birds but kicked up a bedding deer
huntpic2.jpg
[/IMG]

then i switched and walked this area on otherside of it is a corn field figure might get something there nope nothing....
huntpic1.jpg
[/IMG]

here is a crp field i walked before calling it a day..this field here is kind of big i just kept on walking it back and forth till i reached the end of it and spreading out as i went along....
huntpic6.jpg

nope no dog just me...this is just the top part of it...theres more in the bottom crp fields corn bean plot..lot and lots of cover with food..i know there has to be some birds out there because there is soo much cover etc.... and its all public hunting i was only one there today..alot of ground here.... THIUS PLACE IS 225-acre tract of land that consists of different habitats such as steep wooded ravines, small tributaries, a Creek, bottomland, woodland prairie and cropland.

Last edited:
Go back on the 1st snow (or your best area with cover). Look for tracks, there should be birds. Right now without a dog on public is going to be very tough, even with a dog most birds are running 200-300 yds ahead of you.

Forgot, Get to those areas at 7:00 and watch where the birds are moving to or feeding. Bring binocs to watch edges of cover and ag field.

ok im gonna get there bout 7:00ish one day.... who knows maybe try it tomorrow really worked it over today outthere...theres alot of good cover out there...i think this area here would be better with a dog..wouldn't they just run on you if you was by yourself?? i do know there is/was pheasants out there. last year i was walking in the timber and there was a rooster in there didnt have my gun as it wasnt season yet...id like to find someone with a dog or 2 and really work it over hard..lots of places they could hide around there....

has i was hunting there today i walked this grove type area it looked good so i tryed it..no birds but i did see lots of deer sign lots of buck rubs i did snap a few pics...about every 4 to 5 feet was more buck rub

bucksign2.jpg

bucksign.jpg

Last edited:
When not feeding, pheasants are REAL REAL good at disappearing. In that kind of cover you would need a hard working dog and spend some time. A roosting peasant is not leaving a scent trail, dogs need to get closer and downwind.

Forgot to add. Appears there are deer there. With deer there will be trails. Those birds will run those trails making it very difficult to hunt. or even seeing birds.

Alan, the first pic is switch grass. The birds love hitting that stuff when it's blowing snow, they will also visit it through out the day here and there.

Second pic, considering you were there after 12:00 noon you may get something out of there. If the ground is dry they really like shelter belt areas to dust themselves. Though you may have one heck of a time flushing a bird AND having a shot being you're hunting by yourself and birds love to run to the other end and flush, or flush with trees blocking your shot.

Third pic looks like Brome or little blue stem (hard to tell in the pic). If you start to hunt that at sunrise you may get one to flush from his roost. If it rains the night before they will most likey roost in thicker grasses if it's near by.

Alan,there's birds there. You'll just have to work a bit harder for them seeing you're without a dog and other hunting partners. Remember the time of day you go hunting REALLY makes a differance. Early morning and late afternoon/evening is the key ;) --1pheas4

Last edited:
Alan, the first pic is switch grass. The birds love hitting that stuff when it's blowing snow, they will also visit it through out the day here and there.

Second pic, considering you were there after 12:00 noon you may get something out of there. If the ground is dry they really like shelter belt areas to dust themselves. Though you may have one heck of a time flushing a bird AND having a shot being you're hunting by yourself and birds love to run to the other end and flush, or flush with trees blocking your shot.

Third pic looks like Brome or little blue stem (hard to tell in the pic). If you start to hunt that at sunrise you may get one to flush from his roost. If it rains the night before they will most likey roost in thicker grasses if it's near by.

Alan,there's birds there. You'll just have to work a bit harder for them seeing you're without a dog and other hunting partners. Remember the time of day you go hunting REALLY makes a differance. Early morning and late afternoon/evening is the key ;) --1pheas4

that switch grass goes all the way around the property..and some spots it is taller than you lol

Back