Mushrooms

Toad

Anybody finding any morels out there? I'm planning a walkabout on Friday, just wondering if anybody is having success right now. I would think we've had enough warmth and moisture, but I am terrible at guessing when they will pop. :laugh:

Found a few. Still a little early in my neck of the woods. Found them on the southern facing slopes. Gonna go back later and check the north facing sides.

Dad said he found one small grey in SEK last weekend. Enough moisture now should really make them pop.

Been finding a few, but we need some sunshine, lots and lots of sunshine. Then it will be how many do you want to try and carry out with all the rain we have had lately.

We are finding a few morels here, a friend found 2 dozen one afternoon last weekend. With all the rain, when we get some sun they will be coming out in full force.

Just ate so many from last night I'm sick. I'm about the same latitude as Wichita. Greys and yellas, cold now though.

Thanks for the reports! It gives me a little hope I might find some for myself. I'll let you all know how it goes.:thumbsup:

I waited until this afternoon to go, hoping the warmer weather would get something going. I didn't find squat. Plenty of moisture still in the ground in the woods, but the roads were dry and dusty.

Looked Sunday up in Marshall County in the old stomping grounds. Had no luck at all but bad. Only thing we found was a locust thorn that decided it needed to be in my daughters foot. Ouch.

My neighbor found some little grays in his back yard. I'm going to go again tonight to see if I can have better luck.

Found a couple of grays last night. I'll go get them out of the cold tonight and see if there are a couple of more. The forecast for the next week looks like they should be popping up any time now.

I looked in NE Kansas and NW Missouri quite a bit this weekend. No mushrooms spotted at all. Heard similar results from others as well. I would think this next batch of rain and warmer temps will get them popping.

Unless the weird early warm up and then cooler temperatures zapped them :eek:

I have a good feeling about this coming weekend. :thumbsup:

The ticks really got me last weekend, and I have poison ivy rash on my forearms, like get almost every time I go to the woods. That stuff is relentless!

Went out this afternoon south of Kansas City. Got skunked. Did find 5 ticks when I was finished.

Ticks, Poison ivy, not finding any. You guys are making this morel thing sound better and better. They must be really good.

The ticks really got me last weekend, and I have poison ivy rash on my forearms, like get almost every time I go to the woods. That stuff is relentless!
Poison ivy on the forearm is better than the places I usually get it.:D. We went out sat. and got skunked except for the ticks like everyone else.
I always heard that when the oak leaves are the size of a mouses ear that that is the time to start. Not really but I read that last night. Welp that is today. You are going to kill them this weekend.

Poison ivy on the forearm is better than the places I usually get it.:D. We went out sat. and got skunked except for the ticks like everyone else.
I always heard that when the oak leaves are the size of a mouses ear that that is the time to start. Not really but I read that last night. Welp that is today. You are going to kill them this weekend.

We laugh, but I've heard the same thing, so that system must work for someone. Exact same words, "mouse's ear"... :laugh:

My neighbor is in his late 80s, and fishes 6 days a week whenever there is open water. He said the crappie spawn can be predicted by the bud break on redbud trees, and then there is some other natural activity that signals walleyes will be on the flats. He catches more fish in a week than many people catch in a season, so I have no doubt he knows his stuff. :cheers:

I'm going to do a little checking Friday, and block some time for a good search on Sunday. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

My middle son gets poison ivy worse than anyone I have ever seen. I can take a bath in it and never get more than a couple spots. Weird how he gets it but i won't

Back