Mushers or Tuf-Foot

outdoorslife89

Who uses either of these or both on their bird dogs? Do you like theses products? I see mushers can help with snow/ice buildup as well...

I've tried Tuf foot after a pad injury. Not sure if it helped, kind of messy to apply.

I bought some mushers secret last winter and while using it none of my dogs had to chew ice out of their paws. But..... I don't think I've ever seen my dogs chew ice out of their paws with out it!

I'm not much help.

I've used Mushers Secret in the past to prevent snow build up in the dogs paws and didn't feel it worked all that well. Wore off fast so you needed to reapply frequently.

I used Mushers this past winter when working in very wet brackish water soaked fields.
It worked pretty good and I had no complaints.

I've used Mushers for a few years now. I put it on pretty heavy right before we hit the fields and it works great IMO. We typically start hunting in mid-November in SD through bird season in the midwest and seems like we always get into quite a bit of super cold and snow/ice weather. My brittany struggled with ice chunks and always licking/digging on them, I don't think i've had him do it since starting to use Mushers. Tuff is quite a bit messier IMO, it's much more liquid than "waxy" but I always thought it was more to "toughen" up their pads...which he's never had a problem.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Ive talked to a few guys with Labs and they say they dont have any problems or need for either product but they each knew a guy or two with Brittanys or Spaniels that use Mushers. Ill keep me eye out and see if there is a need come late season. No hunting on sand here so just ice/snow buildup would be the concern

I think the key to Musher's Secret is apply enough of it. I squish it up between his toes pretty thick & then around the entire paw. Then I spread it everywhere else he tends to get snow/ice build-up. Works well, especially between the hind legs & front armpits where ice balls lead to chafing & serious discomfort.

Back