More Broods

UGUIDE

Very encouraged today. Was out doing some light clipping of weeds around buildings here. Most of the CRP does not require any additional weed maint during this crucial hatch time. There was one small patch of kochia in my CP 33 and I wanted to clip a commute trail alongside a CP5a (10') path.

In course of about less than an hour of mowing I ran into 3 broods of which 2 could fly and 1 could not. Ran into another brood of flyers yesterday while showing my kids the developments on the farm.

I probably disturbed less than a 1/4 acre of cover in these sightings and have a good 140 acres of cool season nesting cover that is undisturbed and another 100 acres of warm season grass that I am not counting as nesting cover but suspect some hens will try and utilize that. Especially in pockets that have wetland grasses and weedy areas.

Wetlands a re slowly drying up and we got a shot of rain here but htings are much dryer and warmer than last year.

Thanks for the update Chris. By the sounds of it your hard work is paying off! Should be a nice return for you this fall:thumbsup:

Let me know if you need any help removing your over abundant rooster population. :rolleyes::D

P.S.--have you seen those quail at all this past year or so?

Thanks for the update Chris. By the sounds of it your hard work is paying off! Should be a nice return for you this fall:thumbsup:

Let me know if you need any help removing your over abundant rooster population. :rolleyes::D

P.S.--have you seen those quail at all this past year or so?

I think nature gets more credit than i for sure.

Have not seen any quail. Wondering if those were released possibly????

Chris,

I'm knocking on wood as I type this, but barring a major hail storm or gullywasher, I'm hoping we could see record #'s in SD this fall. The winter was very mild all over the midwest with great carryover and the hens in great egg laying shape. Been getting reports from ND, SD and Iowa as people are seeing large brood sizes with chicks varying from fuzzballs to flying already. I appreciate your observations, keep them coming. It's gonna be a great fall!

I am hoping for an increase over last year of some decent amount...25-50% would be great. Record #'s will not be happening with all of the CRP that has come out over the past 5 years, IMO...hope I am wrong, but just being realistic. I think there will be a nice population of birds come fall, barring hail, etc. Heading out this weekend to see how things look....

It looks like it will be a better year than last year. I don't think it will be a record year though. In my part of pardise we are going to need some rain soon if we are going to have a great year.

Gents,

You are indeed correct, I do not anticipate record #'s statewide. Last year was rough on the birds in the eastern half of the state. I was thinking locally where I hunt.

Haymaker,

Looks like some rain made it through overnight for you. Probably not enough but better than nothing. 10 day outlook shows very little chance of rain.

Bob

Heading out this weekend to see how things look....

I'm trying to get out there too. I really want to get some photos. We'll see if things work out.

Ben-bang, if you don't mind keep us informed. Get some pics if possible.;)

As far as numbers go, if things keep up I think we'll be surprised as to how fast pheasants can bounce back to impressive numbers (where the habitat allows).

Even here in N. IL. things are looking the best I've seen in many years. One more year like this and we'll (IL) have healthy numbers of pheasants where habitat still exists--something that has not been the case for some time now.

The Platte area got .75 to 1 inch last night and they were in need of it. That should help everything :D

Haymaker,

Looks like some rain made it through overnight for you. Probably not enough but better than nothing. 10 day outlook shows very little chance of rain.

Bob

Yes we got .60 last night. It will give the chicks a drink for a while.

i'm from winner which is south central, we 1.75 in and not farm from us had up to 3 inches, the crops were burning up with we did not get the rain. I agree with most that there will not be record numbers this year, our birds were down pry 75% last year. This year seeing good numbers, been putting up our hay a little later than usual and even stopping the hydroswings to avoid mowing off the chicks, but even at that there are still alot of nests that are not hatched out that get smashed by the tractors, and i'm thinking we are getting 30% of the chicks even the ones that can fly well. One pass a hen will be taking up to 10-15 chicks out of the cut hay, then the next pass she is going right back in the uncut grass and we get a couple more chicks. I could see record numbers by 2013 or 2014. I keep good control on our predator population, had taken out 52 coons last fall, and probably 30 skunks, plus coyotes, foxes, and badgers. Hoping it paid off this spring for the hens and their nests.

i'm from winner which is south central, we 1.75 in and not farm from us had up to 3 inches, the crops were burning up with we did not get the rain. I agree with most that there will not be record numbers this year, our birds were down pry 75% last year. This year seeing good numbers, been putting up our hay a little later than usual and even stopping the hydroswings to avoid mowing off the chicks, but even at that there are still alot of nests that are not hatched out that get smashed by the tractors, and i'm thinking we are getting 30% of the chicks even the ones that can fly well. One pass a hen will be taking up to 10-15 chicks out of the cut hay, then the next pass she is going right back in the uncut grass and we get a couple more chicks. I could see record numbers by 2013 or 2014. I keep good control on our predator population, had taken out 52 coons last fall, and probably 30 skunks, plus coyotes, foxes, and badgers. Hoping it paid off this spring for the hens and their nests.

that predator control is good stuff.........that should help a lot, good work!

Spreck, did you see the thread on flushing bars? Would be great to see if someone that does as much haying as you could feasibly utilize a flushing bar that does not hinder work but reduces mortality on wildlife.

http://www.ultimatepheasanthunting.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11202

I'm trying to get out there too. I really want to get some photos. We'll see if things work out.

Ben-bang, if you don't mind keep us informed. Get some pics if possible.;)

As far as numbers go, if things keep up I think we'll be surprised as to how fast pheasants can bounce back to impressive numbers (where the habitat allows).

Even here in N. IL. things are looking the best I've seen in many years. One more year like this and we'll (IL) have healthy numbers of pheasants where habitat still exists--something that has not been the case for some time now.

I really like the idea of you guys getting pics of the habitat and what's going on.:thumbsup: I'm going to do a lot more habitat pics during my Fall adventures. Make for some interesting conversation.

Back