Montana Rifle Company

onpoint

Has anybody actually handled one their rifles?

Very nice, much like the model 70 Winchester.

I dream of a Alaska trip..ah to spend a summer there.

I also have looked at the CZ550

Anybody?

Has anybody actually handled one their rifles?

Very nice, much like the model 70 Winchester.

I dream of a Alaska trip..ah to spend a summer there.

I also have looked at the CZ550

Anybody?

I have handled the Montana at the Shot show this year and it is real nice.

With that said the CZ 550 is a GREAT choice:thumbsup:. What caliber in the 550 are you looking for?? There has been a change some in the 550 lineup since we now offer the 557 model. Please feel free to PM me if you have some questions on our products.

Kick'em Up
CZ-USA
Pro Staff/ Sales

In the CZ550 416 Rigby

In the Montana Rifle DGR 460 Weatherby stainless w/sights

I don't know a thing about the Montana but I got a CZ last year and have been extremely pleased with the quality and bang for the buck. Oh, and out of the box accurate as any firearm I have ever owned.

I have never mounted a scope on a rifle that didn't take some time to adjust and zero in. First shot perfect. 200yd perfect. 300yd perfect. That was with the supplied CZ rings and a Redfield Revolution scope. Decent optics but probably not up to the guns capabilities and certainly better than the shooters.

I didn't get any PM

The Montana rifle is a amazing rifle. The CZ is a best buy for the price. They just don't offer a caliber that interests me. Given a choice. The Montana rifle is by far the best of the two, not saying the CZ can't also get the job done. They are a very good gun.

why are you PMing this info? Whats so secretive? Makes me suspicious

Nothing to hide.I work for CZ-USA and just tried to PM him my partner at works info as he handles safari rifles builds for CZ-USA. If any one has questions on CZ products please feel free to call my office.:D

Kick'em Up
Rich@cz-usa.com
800.955.4486 ext 307.

Thought for awhile about ordering a CZ Safari Classic in 300 H&H, but ended up having one built on a Model 70.

MRC had a reputation for hit and miss quality and service. I think that has changed for the better with some change of ownership/management.

Why 416 rigby on point? You going to Africa for some hunts?

My brother has the 416 remington and just loves it. Killed everything up to elephant with it

I have always had a love of big bore rifles and handguns. 416 Rigby is not my first choice. I want a 460 Weatherby. I also want a model 70/mauser controlled round feed action. I have a 30-378 Weatherby Mark V Accu-Mark. A great rifle, which uses the same case as the 460. I'm not impressed with the extractor and have broke one on a slightly tight fitting reload. The cases on the 30-378 tend to have the brass flow towards the belt after a few reloading's. Then the cases are shot. Still, when trying cases in the gun after sizing. One can get caught with a sticking case in the gun. Let me tell you, replacing the extractor is no fun. Driving out the pin that holds in the bolt is no small feat. I don't want that in a dangerous game gun. The 460 can also be loaded down to a 45/70 or all the way up to near the top of the scale in a game stopper.

Montana Rifle has a very nice high quality PH action that was built exclusively for this large cartridge. The 338 Lapu, 416 Rigby, 460 Weatherby and the 505 Gibbs are from near the same case. The gun feeds flawless and is as reliable as the sun. That's what I want. I have some health issue that threaten to slow me down much sooner then I ever wanted. My plan is to make a trip of a lifetime before my time is gone. I have always wanted a 460 Weatherby from just a young man. If nothing else, it keeps a man alive with the hope of such a possibility of a trip like this.

My plan is to spend a month or two in Alaska in late summer, early fall. If I can find a cabin to use. In a fly in location. Fish, hunt and get out before winter sets in. Call it a dream....even my wife is OK with me doing this/. She said everybody has the right to dream. I have friends and relatives in Alaska. They have invited me in the past. If I don't get this done in the next few years. My time will have passed. Shoot a moose, catch some Arctic Char, Rainbows, Salmon. Maybe shoot a few Ptarmigan. Maybe never get out and do any of it. Most days I haven't got much get up and go but just being there will help full fill much of that dream. Wish me luck.

I sold some guns and more might go, along with other things to help move this idea along.

I'll order my rifle next week.

NEVER give up your dreams..:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
NEVER give up your dreams..

Takes a fair amount of courage to do what you're doing.

Fare well, where ever you fare. :thumbsup:

NEVER give up your dreams..

Takes a fair amount of courage to do what you're doing.

Fare well, where ever you fare. :thumbsup:

Thank you.

Here's some reading and a youtube video on the Montana Rifle DGR.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gu...ew-montana-rifle-company-dangerous-game-rifle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf2A5ILouNs

Also, the gun is just shy of $500 less then it quotes in the video in Stainless Steel. A suggested Retail price of $2015 and $1950 in Chrome Moly.

Try finding any big bore built on a model 70 action for less then two to three times what MRC is asking. Only the CZ550 beats it in price. If CZ had a 460 Weatherby for what they are bringing on GunBroker. I would have bought one. The 416 Rigby costs even more for brass and loaded ammo then the 460 WBY. Still like the three position wing safety also on the MRC, like the model 70.

Last edited:
Sounds like a great plan OP. I really hope you're able to pull that off.

I am in the market for a 16 gauge SXS or classic pump with minimum 28" barrels if you ever have a lead on that. No full choke. Maybe I can help you if you own one now.

Oh I have a dandy but I'm not sure you would want to spend what it's worth. I have a Ithaca model 37 special order two barrel set 16ga with a 28" high rib Trap barrel and a 28" standard vent rib with factory choke tubes and high grade wood. Quit possibly a one of a kind. They no longer make the 37 in 16ga. It's a dandy.

This is a sweet Alaskan rifle. Too bad there's not a single one anywhere in the country to be had.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/specialty/talkeetna

If a guy wants a big bore he should get one but at the same time I have to wonder what are you going to shoot up there that a .270-.338 won't get the job done?

If a guy wants a big bore he should get one but at the same time I have to wonder what are you going to shoot up there that a .270-.338 won't get the job done?

Those were kind of my thoughts. I have have two identical model 70's one in .270 Win. and the other in .338 Win Mag. The .338 will certainly get anything done in Alaska you need. All for a lot less money up front and also every time you pull the trigger. Besides, I wouldn't want to lug an 8-10 lb. gun around Alaska. Oh well, each to there own. :)

I have had several 338's including Winchester 338, Weatherby 340, Remington 338 RUM. They can get the job done when everything is right but not 100% reliable if things turn bad.

Went with the Ruger Guide Gun in 416 Ruger.

Ithaca had dropped the 16ga from production. If their making it again. Kudos to Ithaca.

On another note. Last I checked it was a free country. If I want to carry a 460 Weatherby in Brown Bear country and you want to carry a 270. By all means go a head. I thought I could fill a life long want for the big bore and maybe take some game with it to. If you didn't know. The 460 Wby can be loaded all the way from 45/70 ballistics to full boat most powerful in the world commercially made champion. Ya act like there's some kind of law that a person can't kill anything less then a charging Elephant with the gun. Fact is, people who take one on a safari kill everything from small plains antelope to the big 5 well on their safari. They don't always carry a golf bag full of guns and change shootin iron's every time they change size of game.

Back