Montana pheasant hunters for opener- read this

dustin mudd

Hi you may have heard of the immense rain storm in Montana high line during August. Fields of grain, and hay were totally inundated.

Mosquitos right now are fierce! bring bug spray if you are hunting before we get our first major freeze.... talked to several hun- sharptail hunters who have been in N. Montana, all have suffered .

Brother in law was bow hunting this week in the CMR reserve, ran out of repellant and had to drive all the way back to Lewistown to get spray mid week.

I understand Lewistown and all the Milk river corridor are affected, I haven't heard about the rest of the state be aware. good hunting!

Mosquitoes! It'll make me feel like I never left home. Nothing to take lightly though. They carry Heart Worm so have your dog on the pill a month prior. It's not real common in MT. but it's there.

Dont Let the Rain Fall Down

DM,

Missed your call I'll give you a shout in a couple days. We're getting three more days of sopping rain up here, Mosquitos are at epic levels, we tried to shoot clays a couple days ago and just couldn't do it even with 100% deet. The standing water never dried up despite some recent hot weather. Ducks are everywhere with the water might be a good year to do a waterfowl combo if your coming. We are going to need a serious freeze to stop the skeeter madness. Bring waterproof boots!

Weather forecast for the North East the 6-9th is for some cool temps. 20's during the night. Freezing rain on the 7th.
That should take care of the bug problems. :thumbsup:
The Gumbo will be a different story. :eek:

Report from Canada

Wayne; I know this should be in the Canada section however currently working 1/2 mile North of Sask / ND border. Been raining Labs and Pointers for the last 48 hours. Our Phez season opened today and I will venture out after work. Never chased a rooster escaping in a canoe before. Stay tuned. Good thing my lab can swim.:D

Phezz, how did your hunt go?
Opening week weather for E MT at this time seems favorable. Couple days with passing showers. 50's and 20's mostly, lots of clouds.
I like those sunny, calm 45 degree days, 25 degree nights. :)

I bet the 2 tracks are going to have many mud holes. :eek:

Success

Got out for the last 20 minutes of the day...sun broke out about 20 minutes earlier.
Hit a couple of good covers.
Dog knew exactly what we were up to as soon as I uncased the gun.
No birds seen.....but a success that I was able to enjoy the last 20 minutes of an otherwise dreary rainy day.
Love this pursuit.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Phezz, how did your hunt go?
Opening week weather for E MT at this time seems favorable. Couple days with passing showers. 50's and 20's mostly, lots of clouds.
I like those sunny, calm 45 degree days, 25 degree nights. :)

I bet the 2 tracks are going to have many mud holes. :eek:

Back