Montana Internet map scouting

tomt

Im sure that its not a secrete to everyone on this forum that prior to heading to a new hunting area, the internet mapping apps have proven incredibly valuable. Prior to heading to Montana I marked public access that included or boarded on what to my previous experience looked to be "obvious" grain fields. However, what i found on the ground is that one type (center pivots) that almost always results in grain in other dryer states to the south, were 100% alfalfa fields in the fields I checked in Montana. Is this usually (I know, nothing is "always", im thinking "in general") the case in MT? Dryland grain and pivots are irrigated alfalfa? Its a huge state, is there a difference between pivots usages in eastern vs central vs western counties? Its great to hunt an area that isnt dry to the bone like my usual haunts. The fields of wheat I found in MT were impressive.

I hunt solo with my lab, so I try to find areas that have a winding creek and
push running roosters to big bends where they have nowhere to run to.
My routine is to walk the straight stretches with the lab at heel, then silently release the dog at each big bend.
Also plenty of water for the lab early in the season and bonus mallards late in the season.

Back