MN Pheasant Summit report

0fer2

WOW What a gorgeous Fri afternoon and Saturday in the SW. 50 degrees and sun! A good day to be in the field chasing ringnecks. But I think, for me, an interesting experience regardless. Of course driving home yesterday was dreary and foggy from Willmar to Pequot.

I want to say straight away that my points and concerns, and hence where I spent my time, was in the public lands portion of discussion, because I am an average person of average means hunting, in MN, public lands.

Nicole Davros from MN DNR Madelia spoke about pheasant biology. She stated that undisturbed grass, haylands, pasture, small grains are where the nesting occur. It takes 6 weeks of undisturbed cover to bring off the brood, and once the chicks are hatched they need open areas underneath the dense grass to escape and travel. How much grass is enough? If an area has 5% grass it will produce 30 birds per square mile. 25% grass will provide 160 birds per square mile. Quite a significant difference.

At the end of the session we all had 3 blue dots to use to "vote" on what we felt were the most important things discussed:

#1 Enforce existing laws on buffers, roadsides, and easements. (this being #1 surprised me)
#2 Increase bonding funds for WMA acquisition
#3 Target funds to specific high quality habitat areas through state, local and federal cost share programs.
#4 Increase state and local funding.
#5 Create compensation for long term and perpetual conservation programs

Okay, back to the discussions- we all had a choice as to which 3 of the breakout sessions we wanted at attend in the morning. We all had a chance to provide ideas which were posted at each station. I attended all 3, however, after lunch we were to pick 1 area to attend and discuss at length which were our top 3 areas. Roadsides were something we discussed at length. I expressed my concerns, and for me, this goes way back, that its come down to roadsides?! Some stated it was better than nothing. You have to face the facts that mowing practices along the township roads in particular, is a mess, just as farming up to the edge of the road is. Who owns it, and was it ever enforced (doubtful) is unknown and in farm country who cares?

We discussed improving the quality of habitat on WMAs. Good discussion here, there were several people from the cattlemans assoc who feel that grazing, done properly, can help-the key word properly. That said, IMO, if we don't have enough folks already to maintain what we have and enforce buffers etc how on earth can we have anyone take care of overseeing grazing? And to those who took out pasture and haylands several years ago to put them into corn and beans, why should you be helped? WMAs aren't a bank for you. The removal of tall trees is to reduce avian predation, however small trees and shrubs are beneficial and needed. I did bring up that the liability issue and training is a roadblock to having volunteers help in restoring and maintaining habitat. Some suggested that volunteers are great but they have to be supervised as well which is a challenge in itself.

The lack of enforcement on buffers etc is an issue, and I had more than 1 person tell me of their personal experiences. So why aren't they being enforced and how will statutory changes help? Good question. My thoughts again are not enough people or people that are in charge of enforcing don't care, or have enough time, or don't have someone that will stand behind them. Maybe the answer is a letter to the landowners who mow or farm next to roadsides or have buffers etc that "this is to notify you that next year we will begin enforcing the laws" at least they have been given notice that changes are coming. And if enforcement doesn't begin, then shame on us. We don't need more laws if the ones in place aren't being enforced (do we?)

I agree on acquiring more land, its the only thing we really control. If the farm bureau, township and county boards, corn growers and soybean growers assn etc etc want to continue to oppose, let them and so what.

We also agreed that a target of 50000 acres of WIA is needed, I believe that said we are around 21000 acres now

Lastly, as we all know, the federal farm bill is the key. If more conservation provisions aren't included and the focus is on all production, things will get worse, for the lands and waters and all the life they support. Take a look whats happened and what continues to happen-it speaks for itself.

The results and discussion items will be ready for the DNR roundtables on Jan 15th and should also be posted on the DNRs website.

Dan

Thanks Dan

Great summary and appreciate the insight on the inner workings of the day.

Thanks for the report. I agree with your views 100%. I also believe that much of the enforcement could be done from an office. With today's sattilite images it is pretty easy to see who is not complying.

I'm looking forward to morning to read through your report in the morning!. Thank you very much for taking the time to write your post:)

Nick

I JUST READ THROUGH YOUR POST DAN. VERY INFORMATIVE, AND YOU MAKE SOME VERY GOOD POINTS. THANK YOU.

QUICK QUESTION; WHAT'S GOING ON WITH BUFFERS IN MN? WHAT'S NOT BEING ENFORCED?

ALSO, I AGREE WITH YOU ON ROADSIDES/DITCHES. WITHOUT HEDGE ROWS/FENCE-LINES, ROAD SIDES ARE THE LAST REMAINING "SAFE" TRAVEL WAYS FOR WILD PHEASANT AND OTHER BIRDS/MAMMALS. PLUS, STUDIES HAVE SHOWN AN INCREASE OF 25% IN LOCAL PHEASANT POPULATIONS WHEN ROADSIDES ARE LEFT UNDISTURBED.

I'VE MADE THE SUGGESTION IN THE PAST (FOR HERE IN IL) TO PUT DITCHES INTO NATIVE GRASS, SMALL SHRUBS, ETC. INSTALLATION OF SUCH HABITAT WILL HAVE IT'S COSTS, BUT MOWING WILL NO LONGER BE NECESSARY--HENCE OVER TIME SAVING MONEY IN LABOR, FUEL, MACHINERY MAINTENANCE COSTS ETC WHILE GIVING WILDLIFE A BOOST.

Last edited:
Thanks for putting the link here-I do feel this is an appropriate place to have it. I know at the DNR roundtable the manager for the water system gave a great presentation of how Worthington Wells has come to be. Hats off to them for trying to manage such a small watershed for the citizens of Worthington and how that positive effect bears well for all of us.

Will be interesting to see the research and results unfold.

Dan

Its a good start, and they did mention everything we keyed in at pheasant summit. We truly do have a governor who does care about fishing and hunting in MN, which is great. Big ag, the Monsantos, Duponts, John Deere, Bayer, to whom we've given too few too much power, and the corn growers assn, Farm Bureau etc etc have to be on board and recognize the free for all, which has resulted in waters being contaminated, wells drying up and contaminated, tiling, ignoring buffers, mowing r-o-ws and local laws ignored, MUST come around. The facts don't lie. Not to mention habitat lost.

Dan

Thanks for the link Birdshooter. I'm looking forward to reading it later tonight:thumbsup:.

Nick

By the sound of it there may be some legs to all of this. Time will tell.

The funding for the amount of $100 Million; It's coming from the "legacy fund" sales tax. Does anyone know the details on this fund--what it is exactly?

Nick

Is this a sales tax on sporting goods or all products? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to find ways to improve public hunting here in IL someday. One can dream right? lol

Nick

Thanks Sloth. Birdshooter, thank you also:)

Nick

Minnesota took a big step in generating these $$ for hunting land, bike trails, parks, clean water and the arts.

Some controversy on the committee members and how they allocate funds, but for the most part good projects get funding. Like any government funded activity there is pork barrel and homerism.

Back