MN opening weekend

Bob Peters

This post is a little late. I took the dog on a whim to a spot very close to the metro for the golden hour, but people were hunting there already(sunday evening). I drove to a spot that I thought was better but surely there would be hunters there but, lo and behold, there was no one in sight! We had 25 minutes to hunt, so I figured to make the best of it. We got near a thick weed patch and I saw out of the corner of my eye a bird flying away, and not sure of its gender, I then heard a cackle. I made haste to the general direction from which it came and sure enough, another bird flushed, a rooster as well! I drew up and let two shells fly, dropping him with the second. It was a long shot, so I was surprised. I ran to where he fell, called the dog, and she tracked him down 15 yards away. I couldn't believe it. Every single pheasant I've ever got is a trophy to me. And I'm so lucky to get to hunt with such a good dog. Happy pheasant season to all, enjoy this special time of year.

Attachments

• 20211017_184018.jpg
    20211017_184018.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
We got near a thick weed patch and I saw out of the corner of my eye a bird flying away
I like to call it the "cover within the cover". Hunted a field yesterday that had great grass but lacked diversity or any thick nasty stuff. There was one shrub in the middle of the field, and the only bird (hen) we saw was there.

Nice picture! Good looking bird and dog. Keep posting, I've enjoyed listening to your learning curve and stories slowly leading to success over the years. Reminds me of myself 10-15 years ago.

Back