MN off season training

Rooster33

I was curious if any of you guys know of WMAs where you can train your dog in the off season near the twin cities? I came across Four Brooks WMA just outside Onamia MN off of 169. You are allowed to train your dogs here if you have a permit, $25 for the season. Are there any other WMAs like this? Do you have to be a member of a club to get a permit?
Thanks

Do you plan on using live ammo and pen birds? Looking at the Permit it looks like you have 3 choices. The first option (no ammo or birds) states "only on lands administered by DNR" whatever that means. WMA's are off limits during the nesting timeframe. I would just call the DNR and ask for clarification.

I do know that any general activity off leash is restricted on all WMA's during the April 16th to July 15th due to the nesting season. Maybe someone who has obtained a permit for training on WMA's can answer it a little more clearly.

View attachment 8233

Last edited:
I was curious if any of you guys know of WMAs where you can train your dog in the off season near the twin cities? I came across Four Brooks WMA just outside Onamia MN off of 169. You are allowed to train your dogs here if you have a permit, $25 for the season. Are there any other WMAs like this? Do you have to be a member of a club to get a permit?
Thanks

There are a couple retreiver clubs within an hour of the metro with fantastic training grounds that charge approximately $50 for a yearly membership. Most of these clubs require members to work 2-4 days working events or doing property maintenance. CMRC has approximately 150 acres and is available for training 24/7 unless an event is going on. Benton County retriever grounds has close to 200 acres with similar availability. The nice thing about private clubs is you can use 4 wheelers, discharge firearms, and release/shoot game birds. I’m guessing their is likely a pointer club offering similar advantages. Maybe with a little butt kissing some retriever clubs might allow a pointy guy to join.

I think Kelly Farms in Hugo allows anyone to be a member for around $300 a year. I have trained with friend out there before. Excellent piece of property. They do training groups out there quite a bit.

Fed land is off limits to training. At least with live birds and ammo. MN public hunting you can get a permit for, but can not use protected game birds. So chukar and pigeons are OK. Private land you can do whatever with the above permit. All public you have to stay out of between I think April 15th through July 15th. Fed land all you can do is exercise pretty much, but also have to stay off during nesting.

Four Brooks is a special setup in that the eastern most portion is designated for dog training and can be used year round, I know NAVHDA is there on Thursday nights and lots of different clubs run trials there on the weekends, see http://www.mfftc.com/calendar.htm for weekend usage. If you contact the Mille Lacs DNR office they have a PDF that they can send you with more information, I can't upload the one they sent me as it's too large. Kelly Farms in Hugo is also an option, though as previously mentioned it requires a $300 annual pass, I believe NAVHDA is there both Tuesday and Thursday nights.

There are more regulations for Four Brooks but below are the bird ones from last year:
DNR Regulations for the Use of Live Birds:
• Pigeons and Chukar’s
o Either species can be released and shot on the leased grounds with no restrictions.
• Bobwhite Quail, Pheasants and Mallard ducks
o The individual MUST have a sales receipt on their person prior to release or harvest.
o Bobwhite Quail are a protected species in Minnesota with no open season and may not be harvested after the event or training session.
o Pheasants and ducks must have an 8” orange streamer attached to one leg prior to being released. Only streamer marked birds may be harvested during the event or training session. The only exception is that during their respective open seasons, any rooster pheasant or duck may be harvested while utilizing legal hunting methods and bag limits.

Last edited:
Back