Mixed loads

pheasantaddict

Those with double guns. Do you use different shells in each barrel while pheasant hunting? ( like #4 & #6) What mix do you prefer? early,late season, over pointers or flushers.

I usually use #4 & #5 no matter what time of the season over pointers. Later in the season though I may go from a 2 3/4 to a 3 in just to help when the birds don't hold as tight. I always take #8 though so if I see the dog holding what looks like a quail point I will quickly change over to those. Either way though it doesn't really matter what you have in the barrel if you can't hit em and that seems to be my issue early in the season for pheasant but for some reason quail are always dead when they fly can't quite figure it out, all I can think is that they fly at about the same sp=eed as the doves that I shoot at.

I shoot a 20 gauge O/U so here goes on what I like. In the bottom barrel 1st shot. I use a 7 shot, 1 ounce 1220FPS load. Note that is not a 7.5 shot but a straight 7 shot. I usually follow that with a 6 shot 1 once load 1220 FPS. In the late season. I go Bottom 6 shot as above. followed by a 5 shot one ounce load 1220 FPS. If the birds are holding tight in the late season. I will stay with 7-6 loadings.

I should add my 1st shots are usually quite close as I have a Brittany. I flush all the birds. He will not even when told too. Meaning all the shots are quite close I never have to shoot over 30 or so yards. I hope this helps.....Bob

Last edited:
In the 20 I often have a 1oz in the first and a "baby mag" 1&1/8 in the second. Most of my guns are choked ic and mod tho the Destino has tubes.
I have a Uggie with an ic and full, which is unusual.
The American Arms Derby, which I shoot most often, is 3", but I do no recall ever having shot one thru it. Not afraid of kick, but just think its a bit much for that little gun. Sometimes I have a 6shot in the first and 4shot in the second barrel.
________
Zr Engine

Last edited:
I hate the confusion of having different loads in the barrels. I prefer to shoot the same load in both barrels and let the choke make up for the extra range generally assoicated with the second shot. But if you don't miss the first shot it's kind of a mute point, right? :)

Loading a Double

Usually 5s in both barrels, but I carry 8s in case we flush quail. If its a mixed pheasant-quail area, I might put an 8 in one and 5 in the other in case a pheasant flushes. I do have different chokes, typically an IC and a Mod if it's a pheasant hunt.

You guys are making this too complicated...as for me, over the years after hunts, I have emptied my vest out into a 5 gallon bucket (occaisonally, I rotate the shells). Now I go out, grab whatever and fill the vest up. Crawl in my old Chevy with the TAZmeister, drive to field, throw 4's, 5's, 6's, ??? in the tubes and bang-bang. If the bird falls, great; if not, repeat, repeat, repeat; if no bird by now; repent :D.

With an 8 in one and 5 in the other, I take it you have double triggers or you are one fast dude with the selector switch. I have busted a quail with 3" 5's...not pretty.

I mostly hunt pheasants so shell tag is not too hard. The 6 or 5s in right side of shell vest, 4s in the left. Obviously the first barrel gets squeezed a little more so I carry fewer of the 4s or higher powered shell. If I have to reload in the heat of battle, I may not go to the left pocket, and it probably does not often make a difference. There is a place called the back of our mind however, and retrospect can sometimes torture us. Will go to all number 4s if windy.
________
Lincoln y-block v8 engine history

Last edited:
How do you drop the bird on the first shot George, When I was young and fast my 1st shot usually ended up in the tree tops. You are right about choke, I do match my chokes with the load I'm using in that barrel. I love that 7 shot for over the point/flush with a light Modified Choke. Only no body makes a light mod for my new Fausti's. In the 2ND barrel I usually have a Mod or improved mod., depending on conditions.....Bob

Last edited:
Shoot Both

You guys are making this too complicated...as for me, over the years after hunts, I have emptied my vest out into a 5 gallon bucket (occaisonally, I rotate the shells). Now I go out, grab whatever and fill the vest up. Crawl in my old Chevy with the TAZmeister, drive to field, throw 4's, 5's, 6's, ??? in the tubes and bang-bang. If the bird falls, great; if not, repeat, repeat, repeat; if no bird by now; repent :D.

With an 8 in one and 5 in the other, I take it you have double triggers or you are one fast dude with the selector switch. I have busted a quail with 3" 5's...not pretty.

I just shoot both one after the other, 2 3/4 in. shells.

I start off with using what I believe to be the best shot size and load for the job in the beginning of the season but I hunt everyday from early Sept to the end of Dec and beyond. Soon I have shells in every truck rolling around on the floor, seat and dash. Every hunting coat has shells in it from duck hunting, goose hunting, grouse hunting, pheasant hunting, Etc. Soon it's whatever is handy or in the jacket/truck. I just took shells out of two trucks still from last fall and from spring snow goose hunting.

So, I shoot mixed loads often but not always..and not by choice but by availability.

I do like a high base #5 for hunting Pheasants though or #2 steel shot where needed

OK, after all the heck I've taken over my truck, my shorttail dog, etc., I've always been nice and just smiled right through it all but now Onpoint has gone and made me mad...he has two trucks!:cheers:

Heck I have a half a dozen vehicles that get used..remember..I'm a Red Neck from the sticks. One vehicle takes a poop, drag another from the brush, air up the tires, throw in a battery and your back on the road...:D:D:D:D:D

Jim, You mean you have one truck. My gosh you're a piker, I have 2 trucks also. It just depends on how much room I need which one I take.....Bob

Have other "rides" but just one truck...yes it's true...just one; but I cant' complain...here is one of my toys:)

KRSYellow.jpg

Jim, I see that is a nice toy. I'm a gun nut so all my good toys are guns.....Bob

A "Dandy" Jim

I like the motor toys too Jim

I'm fighting some health troubles but refuse to give them up

Chuck

Last edited:
When I first started bird hunting I did a lot of experiementation with different shot sizes loads and chokes. I used to shoot different loads in different barrels and change things as the season progressed. After a lot of fooling around I shoot nothing but 1 1/4 oz 5's at phesants all year round. I keep my gun choked skeet and i/c most of the time, but occasionally I switch to i/c and modified if it's really windy or the birds are highly pressured and not holding well.

Keeping different shells for different barrels just didn't work when the action is hot and heavy. Most times when I shoot I reload without ever taking my eyes off the dog and my surroundings and lots of time the speed with which I can reload and be ready translates dirrectly into taking more birds.

How do you drop the bird on the first shot George, When I was young and fast my 1st shot usually ended up in the tree tops. You are right about choke, I do match my chokes with the load I'm using in that barrel. I love that 7 shot for over the point/flush with a light Modified Choke. Only no body makes a light mod for my new Fausti's. In the 2ND barrel I usually have a Mod or improved mod., depending on conditions.....Bob

On my doubles the first barrel has about 10 rounds thru it for every one in the second. Not enough opportunities for doubles these days on pointed pheasants. Quail are another matter and I am going to chase them a little more this year.
I suppose I could alternate barrels and chokes on My Destino and not wear out that right barrel so quickly!
________
Professional liability insurance forum

Last edited:
Back