milder

0fer2

Who is going out now that the weather is finally warming? Although I would say the winds sure still have a bite, and the next day or 2 looks plenty windy. Maybe I'm just showing my age, but gonna see how hard the winds gonna blow the next few days before committing.

Dan

This time of year definitely favors the locals. They can gGt out an go for a couple hours ... reach out in different directions on different days ...

The short amount of daylight is another factor here. You get 9AM to 4:45 (or so). Take back the time change and the later than 7PM sunsets and you are losing more than 3 hours of daylight. Leaves little time for a midday break ... or change in location midday if the area you pick is too difficult to access.

I'm wondering what the snow will do to ice in the the cattails? Hopefully all that cold made a little more ice even with the new snow.

Glad I waited. Doggone windy this morning. I'd like to think I'm older and smarter but its really softer, isn't it? Not willing to push as hard as we did when younger. Am hoping towards the end of the week the winds lay down a bit.

Dan

I'm wondering what the snow will do to ice in the the cattails? Hopefully all that cold made a little more ice even with the new snow.

The cattails I hunted last Friday afternoon were all able to hold me completely fine. Never once felt unsafe in any area of them. Nice change from when I hunted this area a few weeks ago in a wet and muddy mess. This was in the bottom tier of the state, so I would guess that most cattails will be safe. But again, they are all different. And I knew that there was no area of water I was walking over that would have been more than about 6-12" deep had I broken through.

Glad I waited. Doggone windy this morning. I'd like to think I'm older and smarter but its really softer, isn't it? Not willing to push as hard as we did when younger. Am hoping towards the end of the week the winds lay down a bit.

Dan

I thought about skip n today but happy I did not a ski type mask over a ball cap was to much face mask today only needed a light neck/face mask type combo mask over a ball cap birds were outta wind...

Seen way more birds then I expected & should of had 2 birds 1 nice long tail nicked 1 2 other guys seen it go down & I herd a vally of shots short time after missed the long tail clean...

Met a nice guy after I missed the long tail he seen it land & we walked the public land together awhile flushed up some hens only...

he said he came from another spot close by missed a rooster emptied his gun then 2nd rooster flush lol we both could have had 2-3 birds today...

Fell in knee deep through ice in cattails not a pond but more creek type cattails... Rubber boots & rain pants helped..

Hour or so from the cities if roads traffic free

Last edited:
Back