midseason reports

BrownDogsCan2

Any good hunting reports out there, I miss the old days when we came on here to talk about dogs and birds and good times, locations not necessary. I took my pup out yesterday on good ground for a couple of hours on her first solo. She's still a little under 8 months and I went in planning on taking one bird at a time and nothing that would be to difficult of a retrieve.
The first field we went into was a half mile weed patch chock full of ragweed, sunflowers and a few tumbleweeds. We got into a covey of quail almost immediately, I didn't take any shots. Continued working it for a ways until we came into another covey, I passed on the flush and took a shot on a couple of straglers, I got a face full of feathers but some how the bird didn't drop and sailed out into the milo. I didn't have a good mark so we let it go.. continued maybe ten more yards and another covey. Passed on these. Three quarters of the way to the end and we got into one of those flushes you dream about, a huge covey and pheasants galore. I dropped the first rooster and made a good mark and worked the puppy into it. Standing there waiting on her to sort it out, roosters kept getting up. Counting the initial flush there were at least 5 other roosters that would have been chip shots on another day. And I couldn't tell you how many other birds flushed out of there, but bunces.
The second hunt was another draw. A quarter mile of mostly sunflowers. . No birds until the end until a single hen. Worked the edge of some milo out to the road. Two coveys. Shot and a miss on the second.Hitched a ride to the other end of the same draw where we took second rooster.
Not a bad day, 6 coveys between 15 and 40 birds and the pup picked up her first 2 roosters. Right now quail are her thing, she didn't make any flushes but you can tell by her actions that she knows they are in there. We will see what the rest of the season brings.

Hunted quail Saturday on some of the same ground we've hunted for years. Ended up getting into 4 coveys and was able to get some good dog work in. A couple nice covey points and some single points for my young gsp. (her 1st season) First year ive tried using a skid plate on any of my dogs and im not sure why it took me so long to get one. Prevents a ton of cuts, scrapes, inflammation etc. I'm starting to think the numbers are slightly down in this particular are of SE KS, as in years past, where we typically saw 2,3 maybe 4 coveys this year we've been getting into 1-2.
View attachment 8880View attachment 8881

I hunt 2-3x a week due to having no kids and being single and I would definitely say bird numbers are down. Covey count and covey size in my normal go-to spots is noticeably smaller. Same with pheasants.... I've hunted one of my good mixed bag spots and only seen 2-3 roosters compared to 6-10 each time last year. Bird numbers are still better than 2011-12-13 but they aren't as good as they were last year I feel.

My season is the perfect example of the definition of insanity. I keep hunting the same general area and, in some cases, the same spots, and keep getting the same poor results.

Saturday was a solo day for me. I needed to throw another couple bags of corn in the deer feeder to keep it going through the doe season, so I threw the dogs and shotgun in the truck too. One them is young and needs the bird contacts and the exercise. Anyway, we got into a covey right away, the older dog pointed it. I doubled on the "stringy" rise. The young dog retrieved one the birds perfectly. We left the singles alone for an hour or two and walked the rest of the field, finding nothing. Heading back to the truck we walked downwind of where I thought a few birds might have landed. The young dog locked up hard. The point produced 3 birds, and I winged one of them. Unfortunately we didn't recover it.

A second field (perfect-looking WIHA) produced a lone hen.

My last three birds hunts have produced a grand total of 6 quail. A few missed opportunities at roosters, though.

Going to explore some new places later in the year.

I was out the weekend before last. Me, my oldest son and the lab. Started out south of Hays Saturday. Hunted hard all day in some great cover. Saw three small coveys of quail. Only saw 2 pheasants. One rooster ran across the two lane blacktop in front of us and one flew across a back road toward the end of the day. No hens seen. Relocated on Sunday. Hunted a WIHA and saw more roosters in one field than I have seen in quite a while. We probably saw close to 50 pheasants and 15 or so were roosters. Shot 2. Many were getting up wild and we both missed one. Had a good time, but I feel like our weekend proved it is very spotty.

I’ve managed to hunt in 5 different counties so far. 2 of which have had very good pheasant numbers. Still down in both i would say but def good enough for me. Two other counties were very poor , even on quail number which have typically been good the last few years. Another county outside of the general pheasant range I’ve found some decent quail numbers but coveys have been smaller than i normally find. Overall been a nice year for me but I’ve had better seasons. Just glad to be able to hunt and find birds tho.

In the areas I hunt there are more pheasants than last year but also more cover. The birds are scattered, but I am finding some every place I hunt. I think with some cold weather to run them out of the pastures and milo stubble will make for some very good late season hunts. On my last hunt a friend and I hunted 3 days and ended up with 17 pheasants and around a dozen or so quail. Most of the birds we shot were really young birds and I bet they didn't have much color the beginning of season. They make for some nice dog work, holding for points well.

I regrettably have hunted only opening day (I practice medicine and have 4 small children and a wife that for some reason doesn't relish me leaving her with the kids to go shoot birds). Once my sons get older I hope to hunt more. Are the crops out of the fields yet?

I regrettably have hunted only opening day (I practice medicine and have 4 small children and a wife that for some reason doesn't relish me leaving her with the kids to go shoot birds). Once my sons get older I hope to hunt more. Are the crops out of the fields yet?

Disappoint early and often :) probably not the best advice but something my buddy kept telling me half joking - you hold the standards too high at the beginning gives no room for improvement - wife and i have had some fights over hunting but it's something I have to do...though with 4 kids it'd be tough - we only have one at the moment - I'm dog poor at this juncture so have only been out once so far for 3 days. Will be changing that situation next year.

Disappoint early and often :) probably not the best advice but something my buddy kept telling me half joking - you hold the standards too high at the beginning gives no room for improvement - wife and i have had some fights over hunting but it's something I have to do...though with 4 kids it'd be tough - we only have one at the moment - I'm dog poor at this juncture so have only been out once so far for 3 days. Will be changing that situation next year.

Yeah, I hear you :) She used to be great with me hunting, and she's still better than alot of wives I'm sure, but the more kids we've had, the less she is tolerant of it. So, I guess that is a self inflicted issue... I have great memories of hunting with my dad when I was younger, that I hope to pass on to these little jaybirds. I also hope they are able to get out and get into it while he is still able to hunt with us!

We went out the weekend of the 8th. Normally we would go opening weekend, but my brother and his family were in Australia and asked us to postpone the trip. I am really glad we did. More of the crops were out of the fields and it was much colder than the temp usually experienced on opening weekend. We were in Washington county and in that area, I can say the Quail are back. We found Quail in all but one field we walked. Not as many Roosters as the past, but that is OK. The colder temps had the Quail sitting tight which allowed my dog to have between 12 and 15 point and retrieves on the day. She also helped find another 15-20 birds that wold have been lost in the cover. We had 9 of us to start the day and one more joined us in the afternoon. It has been a long time since we have seen that many birds. Many of the coveys were 20 plus bird coveys. We made sure not to hunt them too hard. I am hoping this summer is good nesting weather and we can do it again next year! We all discussed moving the trip to December from now on!

My group hunted quail last Friday and pheasants on Saturday. On Friday 5 hunter and 4 pointing dogs bagged 23 quail We lost and additional 6 in heavy cover and extremely poor scenting conditions. On Saturday the group increased to 11 hunters and 7 dogs. We limited out (44) birds. Got to see some great dog work Birds were holding in very heavy cover. Ah life is good in SW Kansas

My group hunted quail last Friday and pheasants on Saturday. On Friday 5 hunter and 4 pointing dogs bagged 23 quail We lost and additional 6 in heavy cover and extremely poor scenting conditions. On Saturday the group increased to 11 hunters and 7 dogs. We limited out (44) birds. Got to see some great dog work Birds were holding in very heavy cover. Ah life is good in SW Kansas

44 roosters in one day? sorry, i am inclined to call bullshit on that one! unless you were on a preserve.

44 roosters in one day? sorry, i am inclined to call bullshit on that one! unless you were on a preserve.

I’ve had at least 2 days in southwest KS this year that 11 good shooters could have dropped limits with some birds to spare.

However if there were roosters as the Math may indicate , no reason to bag on somebody for having some success . late last year out west me and a buddy shot near limits late in the season of both Quail and pheasant .

I asked for good reports and dogman gave an honest answer. He didn't keep quiet in fear somebody would come swipe his spot. I'm not sure why this went south.

Glad to hear of folks having some success. I’m getting ready to fire up the truck and head out to western Kansas for a few days. Hopefully the dog and I can get into a few.

I’ve had at least 2 days in southwest KS this year that 11 good shooters could have dropped limits with some birds to spare.

This ^^^ Same can be said about the area we hunted last week in SW KS. And I should have had a limit of quail both days if I had shot better.

Spotty in NW, about like last year.

Back