March Madness Blizzard

UGUIDE

....well they haven't labeled it a blizzard but winter storm with gusts up to 50mph?

I just rolled into lodge tonight and we'll see what she's got. The winds are up and the radar is dancing.

The main thing I noticed when rolling thru town is the green in the ditches. Haven't seen green in ditches since last june.

Spring is way late this year but I remember a 2007 blizzard I was stuck in the lodge in and that was a banner year for birds if I recall.

Juzst watched Louisville defeat Michigan so I guess now that basketball is over we can get on with normal spring.

Like Jim said.....We'll take the moisture.

Up to twenty inches forecast for some spots in western SD! A real Godsend given how dry we've had it. Hopefully this will put a little water back in some dams and get us back on track for moisture this year. The birds will be a little uncomfortable for a couple of days, but this should help them out in the long run. Let it snow!

Up to twenty inches forecast for some spots in western SD! A real Godsend given how dry we've had it. Hopefully this will put a little water back in some dams and get us back on track for moisture this year. The birds will be a little uncomfortable for a couple of days, but this should help them out in the long run. Let it snow!

Hey Craig, are you coming to Savage this year? Snowing and blowing here this morning.

A Godsend, yes. Lots of noise on the tin roof last night but does not look too bad outside as of this morning. According to radar the first wave is about done. Forecast for snow for next two days.

Here's how it looks from the porch. More pictures as the storm develops. Coffee's on and UGUIDE Weather Channel report is out.

Oh, looks like they upgraded the snow amounts from 6-12 inches to 10-16 inches. Better hook up the plow to the tractor...

IMG_20130409_065225_808_zpsd1f6dd21.jpg

Last edited:
....well they haven't labeled it a blizzard but winter storm with gusts up to 50mph?

I'm relieved to hear they're finally some good moisture on it's way out there. Hopefully:rolleyes:.

The high winds could be an issue for birds. That's the kind of weather that kills birds. This time of year birds begin to disperse, leaving heavy winter cover, and begin to claim breeding, nesting territories.

These areas are good for nesting, not so good for shelter/cover from blowing snow.

It's still early in the season so birds should be okay. Plus, they know when a storm is coming, so hopefully good wintering cover is near by.:)

Hey Craig, are you coming to Savage this year? Snowing and blowing here this morning.

No trials this year, as two of my daughters are running track, and I was shanghied into helping coach their team. My weekends are pretty well booked up through May. We'll sure miss the Savage trial, as Michael puts on a great event, and that's about as nice of a group of people as you could ever hope to come across. Good luck with your Brit!

We have about six inches of very wet snow on the ground, with another six to eight on the way. Sounds like the whole state is getting in on this one.

Herrrrrre she comes........

This is at about 4pm and the hourly forecast says "heavy snow" from 7-8.

I've not seen that one before.

The place is spotless from cleaning all day and also got the BBQ overhauled. Put a 454 in it. :D

IMG_20130409_155628_965_zpsa1f2de8d.jpg

We're over a foot of snow here in Rapid as of six tonight, and it's really coming down now. There will be some serious moisture in this. Pretty tough on the guys who are in the middle of their calving season, but things should improve pretty quickly.

Ha! Just sitting down to type this and haven't seen a pheasant for two days and just saw 4 out pickin.

We got a lot more ice than I care for. Will make it harder for birds to get to food in fields.

Whoops 4 turned into 10. They all flushed from something. Maybe I will get a shot at a coyote.

We need some warm temps soon to thaw things out. Snow did not amount to too much here.

All the moisture is welcome. Spring is way late this year.

Over twenty inches in Rapid City! We'll take every all we can get. We were fortunate in that we didn't get the freezing rain that so much of the state received. This should green things up nicely, and maybe even put a little water in some dams that have been dry for a long time. More rain and snow coming next week....

Chris I just checked on the moisture amounts via the weather channel.

Platte 1.65 in
Lake Andes 2.53

This is a VERY GOOD thing:10sign::cheers::D

My weed patch is full of birds this morning including a group of pheasants that just flew in from some heavy cover.

Last edited:
Going to get green there soon!!!! We got a whopping inch!!!! Forecast called for 8-12!!! Well, at least the wind blew!!!:cheers:

Good thing I'm not a weather man...........Just so my wife can't say " where's the 8 inches you promised me last night" and all I can come up with is 1!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim, that's magical moisture. When I came out this week there was green grass in the ditches which I haven't seen since fathers day last year.

Here was the scene this morning. Large drifts on south side of lodge and more snow in fields last night.

After taking these pics I drove out on main road and saw about 30 pheasants trying to find something to eat out it the fields..

....On a good note.......looking out the window on Friday morning while drinking coffee I observed no less than 100 pheasants fly in to the shelterbelt from the roosting cover. I would say the majority were hens. Probably about an 80/20 mix of hens to roosters. Most of them landed right next to the little tree next to grain bin in that lower photo on previous post.

This is the most birds I have seen at one time in years.

I should also add that when driving thru Sioux Falls on the way home I noticed a tremendous amount of tree damage from ice. If you saw a group of trees there was not 1 tree in the mix that did no have broken branches on it.

Last edited:
Is the grain bin leaking a bit.:)

Back