Manhattan Vet?

A coworker with an older Brittany wanted me to poll the Manhattan area guys on who they use as a vet. So who do you guys use? And why?

I'm sure there are many good vets in Manhattan. I use Dr Deb Mangelsdorf at Konza vet. Been going there for about 6 years now, and I really like her. She is really calm and gentle with the animals, and she isn't pushy. She will give honest and practical advice for your dog's health. Her prices are very reasonable compared to other vets in Manhattan.

Konza vet is not fancy. The waiting room is crowded and has the appearance of "rode hard and put away wet." They are disorganized, and you might as well figure on waiting at minimum 1/2 hour past your appointment time to be seen. If you can overlook that stuff, you will get good, reasonably priced care from a competent vet.

Also, she has a soft spot for brittanies, and fawns all over Junie whenever we go in for shots or the occasional patch-up job.

We are at Little Apple. They are very good, but I expect they are higher priced them many of the others.

But they are close to us and we know they will do a good job.

I've tried several.

I took a dog into Konza for stitches. He had to have a drain tube put in and it was a tough situation. Konza put in the wrong type of stitches and it wasn't well done and I ended up with a terrible infection. I had to take him to another vet and they had to do everything over again because of how poorly everything was done.

I used Candlewood Vet, but their hours are limited and I was frustrated with that, and just lack of flexibility in some things.

I've taken a dog to Little Apple in an Emergency situation and that was ok, but like Steve said, very expensive.

I've used KSU a few times, and that was ok. We had to have a 4 day old puppy put down and we really liked how they handled it. We will likely go back if necessary.

Our normal, every day vet is Deer Creek in Wamego. They are flexible, and have decent hours and are decently priced. (Although between all the show dogs and foster dogs and our own dogs, we see them quite a bit. ) He is a good guy and has a good hand with the animals. Not the fanciest place, but solid, and we feel worth the twenty minute drive to Wamego. One huge thing for me, is when a dog needs to be put down, will the vet meet me somewhere? Maybe in a field, or somewhere the dog can smell fresh air and be more comfortable. Or even at my house.
Because I'll be damned if the last place the dog sees/smells is a vet office where he isn't comfortable.

Candlewood said they wouldn't. That's another huge reason I left. Deercreek would. That's a huge reason I tried them out, and have stuck with them through the years.

I have gone to Konza and to K-State as well.

Konza I believe has quite a few vet students working at it and I believe this adds to the confusion. I had a emergency patch job that Konza was the only vet I could find to take her in on short notice. Deb did a good job with my dog but had to keep her overnight to get to it. So she just taped the wound up for the night and then sewed the dog up in the morning. This was on Saturday and she came in on Sunday to finish the job. I thought it was going to cost me a small fortune but she only charged me for the work she did and not an overnight stay or for overtime. I think the final bill was less than $50 bucks but that was years ago. I would go to her every time but I don't like the wait and the slow service.

K-State knows what they are doing but the times I have gone I've gotten a different vet each time. I like to keep one guy that remembers my dogs.

I now use Wamego Vet Clinic and Dr. Pacha (sp). He is very knowledgeable takes time with your dog and explains everything that is going on. My daughter loves to go with me and he lets her listen to the dogs heart and even help give the shots. He is open Saturday mornings and always on time. If not his staff will call you and let you know to come a little later. He is a little more on the pricey side as I pay around $120 a check up with all the vaccines but I think the service is worth the extra $.

K-State knows what they are doing but the times I have gone I've gotten a different vet each time. I like to keep one guy that remembers my dogs.

Excellent point. One of the reasons I tend to shy away from KSU. But we have been really pleased with how they handled having to put down a 4 day old puppy and the last pup we took in there.

Blue Hills vet for routine things (shots, etc..). They have always treated us right. We went there after an incident with Little Apple (dog went in for boarding after a death in the family, came back to open sores and abscess). If Blue Hills feels incapable of handling something they refer to K-State.

Blue Hills vet for routine things (shots, etc..). They have always treated us right. We went there after an incident with Little Apple (dog went in for boarding after a death in the family, came back to open sores and abscess). If Blue Hills feels incapable of handling something they refer to K-State.

I talked to a vet who works at Blue Hills a few weeks ago and she sounded excellent. If something were to happen, I would consider going to her, she came highly recommended too.

Back