Low forum #'s

pheasantaddict you are a dying breed. The older guys are getting hip and knee replacement surgery and the kids are playing video games. I guess you are going to have to shoot all the roosters yourself.

Why does Iowa have low forum #'s? I think there is only 4 of us and half of them hunt in SD.
I hunted the Iowa opener with a buddy and his 3 friends 3 years ago. We hunted around Nevada on private land. They all had "pointing" labs and I had my GSP, I use the term "pointing" very loosely. They laughed at me and wondered what ever possesed me to have such a mutt. To them if it wasn't a lab it wasn't worth spit. Well we headed to the first field and Kody, my GSP locked up on point and the other guys kept walking. I told them that there was a bird there but they told me that their labs had already covered that area and my dog was just dumb. Well I walked over and kicked up a rooster and had my first Iowa Rooster in the bag. We hunted for half a day and I shot my limit in the first 2 fields, those were the only birds that were shot that day. Needless to say, they had a whole new respect for GSP's after our outing. Sorry about the rambling, just a funny thing about Iowa hunting. It is great hunting in Iowa I just haven't been back since, haven't really had the time. Good luck in the fields...:thumbsup:

The problem is Iowans are more concerned about their Hawkeye Football and deer hunting than hunting the majestic rooster. It is interesting to note that most of us are on the west side of the state it would appear.

NICESHOT your not exactly a spring pheasant yourself. Your new knees are probably right around the corner.

Today is a prime example of why I hunt a crossed the border. I just talked to a guy named Sundvolt (spelling ???). Anyway he has some great land and said go ahead and hunt it.

Last edited:
Please tell me how to make sure I am registered. I was born and raised in Iowa, but spent a 3 year sojourn in South Dakota and fell in love...not pheasant hunting...my wife...you guys all have a one track mind. I keep trying to get her to move back(no state income tax, higher speed limit, and more pheasants) but she loves being an Iowegian now.

Sommervold.

That sound right. You know the guy?

Also I can relate to the whole Iowa thing. I was perfectly happy being a born and raised South Dakota boy until my wife dragged me over here for her crummy job.

I agree

I think this site has great potenial just not real well known yet .The duck hunting sites i visit are way more active !!! We need more people to participate.

Newbe!!

Ok, you convinced me to register!! Long time bird chaser and dog follower!! I love hearing from everyone. English Setter and Yellow lab are my current companions...have loved the pointer/flusher tag team. So far this year I have been chasing what few birds we have in Wi, can't wait to get to Iowa next week!!! Hope the corn is coming down fast....:)

I think this site has great potenial just not real well known yet .The duck hunting sites i visit are way more active !!! We need more people to participate.
Gentlemen, I am new to the forum. I have missed 3 years of pheasant hunting in IA in the last 31 years. Considering the distance I have to travel I think that is pretty good. My father started taking me when was a teenager and I becamed hooked. My brother, his wife and I will be traveling to IA next week to try our luck. I have read all the "doom and gloom" articles and even some of the opinions on this forum have not been positive. I am interested in all your opinions and thoughts about hunting in Iowa's changing ecological environment. I will be monitoring this forum for everyone's opinions and welcome any suggestions regarding habitat, etc.

Well TT, you should be hitting it about right for the corn harvest. Depends where your hunting at? There's still birds in the right areas, but we need more habitat to increase bird #'s.

My grandma passed away this fall and the farm got split between 6 people, The reality has set in that a good thing may not last forever. Luckily my relitives along with my mom getting some, I can still hunt there. But when some of them decide to sell it might come to an end. I am going to hunt there for sure this year and be greatfull for every last hunt there. Lots of memories.

Last edited:
My grandma passed away this fall and the farm got split between 6 people, The reality has set in that a good thing may not last forever. Luckily my relitives along with my mom getting some I can still hunt there. But when some of them decide to sell it might come to an end. I am going to hunt there for sure this year and be greatfull for every last hunt there. Lots of memories.

I'm sorry to hear of your losses, both Grandma and the land. I hate to hear of things like this happening. Best of luck to you this season!

well

I think this wet weather is hurting us the most .But I do wish we could do more about the declining population .I know alot of people are against stocking birds but I have to wonder if it would help.That is how the birds were introduced to this country in the first place.

That is an interesting thought about stocking birds. I did hunt one year in SD and the area I hunted had some stocked birds. I really couldn't tell a difference in the actual hunt Does anyone have any data about survival rate for stocked birds?

-and-

Sorry to hear about your Grandmother, FCSpringer. Like you said, hunt while you can, bring family and friends and create memories.

Thanks, but at least I will get to hunt In IA for about 10 years for sure there, my uncle had the will written up so he gets to rent the land for 10 years. there is plenty of birds around and it will still be fun. It just seems wierd to walk where you ran as a kid and know you might not be able to at some point. But for now no one is selling.
Now on the bird planting thing for what it is worth, I raised and released many birds over the last 10 or so years, and it does work well. The key seemed to be that you need to release adult birds after hunting season in an area where there is a few wild ones to show them around some and put some feed out for awhile. It takes more work but the survival seemed to go to much higher #'s. They will suprise you on how many survive. Once there is enough hens out there the rest took care of itself. Where there was no wild birds they did not do well. All it takes is a couple though. The young birds did OK but needed to be put on sprinklers before release to get them used to weather and get the oils working in there feathers. Also we let the dogs harass them some to educate them about preditors. Seems wierd but worked, tips from some old timers that did it. Raising them to featherd and just tossing them out some where did not pan out at all.

Williamsburg IOWA here....

Veterans Day, day off for me. Hunt this morning and my dogs, Daisy and Maggie, found a clutch of pheasant that couldn't have been much over 3 months old maximum. The rooster that I did go ahead and shoot still had pin feathers, no ring, very little body color and no head color. I could only identify his sex after he rose and the sun caught a few of the back colors. The dogs worked like together like old pro's and I couldn't have asked for a better hunt. Must have been 8 or so in that group and I left the rest to grow, I'll look them up later.

Gotta love chasin' birds...:D...

Back