Lotta

BRITTMAN

Roosters are everywhere this spring crowing. Seeing and hearing them in very marginal MN pheasant range.

Deeper into pheasant range they seem to be busy keeping each other (roosters) in check.

Hens are running with the roosters in the morning. Nesting will be early this year ... let's hope for a temperate May and June.

Been seeing the same thing. Plenty of roosters providing entertainment while turkey hunting this year. Crossing my fingers that it stays wet enough for a good morel flush in the woods but not too wet in the prairie.

I'm seeing birds where I haven't seen them for years!

A couple of weeks ago while goose hunting in SD I saw 28 roosters in 6 miles!

I think the rain we have been getting will really help to jump start the cover. Obviously you don't want it to wet to affect nesting but in the dry places especially SD some nice spring rains can do wonders for the cover. Have been seeing more roosters around then the past couple of springs. Gatzby any report on the general area you were goose hunting in SD?

I've had a much higher number of Rooster encounters this spring than any others I've experienced (this is north metro area). have been hearing and seeing roosters at the WMA with the dog, as well as spotting a few in the fields while driving on the back roads to and from. Have also had visits from Mr. Rooster almost daily right outside my window at work (small area of marsh and high grass). I've worked here 5 years and have never seen any kind of pheasant sightings. I try to show others, but aren't that impressed. I on the other hand could sit and watch him all day, it's been a real treat. Also seeing them at the park across the street from home. Gus has flushed roosters on 3 different occasions in the past month. Again, a place I've seen zero in the past. Long story short I've seen roosters popping up more often and in places non expected, giving me high hopes, and holding my anxiety over temporarily until this fall :cheers:

Spoke with a couple contacts in SW MN as well and they have been reporting good news across the board.

Golfed yesterday in Stacy, MN. Roosters cackling in every direction. No I didn't manage to flush any while looking for my ball :p

Back