Lost Wirehair: Wagner SD 12/27/15

reddog

Not my dog, just posting for an acquaintance.

HELP!!!!!!!!! we recently let one of our good family friends take our dog up to South Dakota and he lost her! They were hunting near WAGNER SOUTH DAKOTA so if you are near there or know somebody who is please keep your eyes peeled! She is a german wirehair and Her name is Oakley! Feel free to share to help get the word out there! Please and thank you! Message me I will keep my phone by my side 24/7 thanks

Last edited:
Oakley has been found safe and sound and reunited with her family:)

Found running down 281. Lucky dog.

Last edited:
Great news.

My buddy's dog used to chase deer. He had to leave them more than once in the field. They were always found where he left some clothing.

Great news!! Wonder how the friendship will turn out? Guy had to be sick to his stomach!!!:thumbsup:

you have to be a real dunce to lend a dog to someone it's not well bonded to.

I learned years ago training other people's dog to spend a couple weeks with them so they knew me well before they were off a check cord.

It's a real bad phone call to have to make to an owner

Great news!

Facebook has been lit up with missing dogs lately. This is the third dog that has gone missing in the last week in SD?? Why now? There should be less hunters in the field. The good news is that all of them have been found!!

reddog - I'm really glad to hear your friend found their dog and nice to see all the well wishes from most folks on here. Can't say the same (or much good) about bobman's post though!

bobman - Really! The best you can do is call the guy a dunce! First off, he stated that the guy he loaned it to was a close family friend so I'm assuming he was "bonded" to the dog and they trusted him. And I'm sure the fellow who lost it along with the owner's felt like hell about the whole deal. Most all of us that hunt bigger running dogs in big country have had that sick feeling and experience of a lost dog at least for a few hours. I lost mine overnight in KS last year and it was a pretty sleepless night and terrible 28 hours. And he's pretty well "bonded" to me! Thankfully all the local folks were great in helping recover the dog and they all said "you'll find your dog. People lose dogs here all the time." So, ya know what, it happens. If you can't offer some constructive advice or at least well wishes to the owner perhaps you should remember the adage "if you've got nothing good to say, maybe you should not say anything"! That's putting it politely! With the kind of compassion you displayed I sure don't think you're the kind of guy I would send any of my dogs to for training. And that's the best I've got to say!

reddog - I'm really glad to hear your friend found their dog and nice to see all the well wishes from most folks on here. Can't say the same (or much good) about bobman's post though!

bobman - Really! The best you can do is call the guy a dunce! First off, he stated that the guy he loaned it to was a close family friend so I'm assuming he was "bonded" to the dog and they trusted him. And I'm sure the fellow who lost it along with the owner's felt like hell about the whole deal. Most all of us that hunt bigger running dogs in big country have had that sick feeling and experience of a lost dog at least for a few hours. I lost mine overnight in KS last year and it was a pretty sleepless night and terrible 28 hours. And he's pretty well "bonded" to me! Thankfully all the local folks were great in helping recover the dog and they all said "you'll find your dog. People lose dogs here all the time." So, ya know what, it happens. If you can't offer some constructive advice or at least well wishes to the owner perhaps you should remember the adage "if you've got nothing good to say, maybe you should not say anything"! That's putting it politely! With the kind of compassion you displayed I sure don't think you're the kind of guy I would send any of my dogs to for training. And that's the best I've got to say!

RB,

Well said! Some people are just insensitive when it comes to situations like this.

I lost one of my older females for a few hours a couple years ago. It was only a few hours but it about killed me. If I lost a dog over night I would probably go crazy. Also the bonding goes both ways. We all spend so much time with our dogs they are family and I myself can't bear to think what I would do without them.

I am glad everything worked out and the dog is back home....

So do you guys have trackers on your dogs yet...? Trackers and better training pretty much resolves lost dogs.

Not that I am insensitive to a dog being lost just that it is almost always preventable by training, trackers, or someone that knows how to handle the dog.

So do you guys have trackers on your dogs yet...? Trackers and better training pretty much resolves lost dogs.

Not that I am insensitive to a dog being lost just that it is almost always preventable by training, trackers, or someone that knows how to handle the dog.

I have covered miles and miles of ground and lost a dog one time for only a few hours. If you spend enough time in the fields or the woods it could very well happen you lose a dog for a short period. I have never had a continuous problem with losing dogs that would warrant a tracking collar.

I think the whole point of the initial conversation was to exhibit a little more compassion for the situation... We all know that things could of maybe been done better. But it's hard to give an opinion of the situation when we weren't there. At that point in time the most important thing was for people on the ground to communicate and locate the lost dog. I myself re-directed my hunting to be in the area where the dog was lost since I was so close anyway.

Last edited:
I been training for a long time 45 years....if you loan a dog to anyone it doesn't know well, it will often bolt when frightened. This is why trainers keep a dog on check cord etc for the first couple weeks when they bring them into their training program.

Don't loan your dog to your friends no matter how well you trust your friend, its the dogs perception you have to worry about. Dogs can be real stupid. That is constructive advise.

Maybe I was too blunt but my point is a fact I've learned the hard way training other folks dogs.

Lend your buddies your boat, your guns, your girl friends but not your dogs.

I been training for a long time 45 years....if you loan a dog to anyone it doesn't know well, it will often bolt when frightened. This is why trainers keep a dog on check cord etc for the first couple weeks when they bring them into their training program.

Don't loan your dog to your friends no matter how well you trust your friend, its the dogs perception you have to worry about. Dogs can be real stupid. That is constructive advise.

Maybe I was too blunt but my point is a fact I've learned the hard way training other folks dogs.

Lend your buddies your boat, your guns, your girl friends but not your dogs.

Bobman,

We can agree one thing for sure. I would never lend my dogs to anyone, not even family as bad as that may sound. To much time and effort involved.....

None of my dogs have ever minded anyone other than me and I would never, ever loan to someone else. Sure, they'll come to someone when called, when they want to, but you can't rely on that when it really comes down to it.

This fall a friend too his daughters GSP hunting. It took off and someone found it a few miles away 4 long hours later. Knowing the family, this dog isn't very well trained, so it running away didn't surprise me. I can't believe the daughter let her dad take the dog in the first place.

It's always killed me when my wife gets pissed at my dog because he/she doesn't mind her. Then she gets mad when I ask her what she's ever done for the dog to think she's the master? I'm on the 4th dog now over 31+ years of marriage and it's been the same with every one:)

I'm glad there was a happy outcome with the lost dogs people have been posting about.

Back