Lost Setter in Northern WI

UplandHntr

I hunted in Northern Vilas County for the past 4 days. This morning about 8 am I was walking a trail with my springer when out of no where a Setter comes down the trail at mach 2. I assumed it was someone walking the trail behind me so I walked back a hundred yards, didnt see anybody, waited a bit and then it hit me. That dogs lost. He was gone down the trail within 20 seconds. Never saw him again.

Mostly white, tall, very skinny but unhurt. Had a football size brown patch on his rump. Running like a thoroughbred. Wearing only a orange collar and I dont recall hearing any tags jingling but really wasnt listening..

This was a 1/2 mile north of Muskrat Creek Rd and Fire Lane Rd. in the Conover area.

I dont know how else to help but thought I would put this out there. He couldve been lost a looong ways away the way he was moving. I wish I would've grabbed his collar.

Feel free to cross post wherever you'd like.

Man. Hope the pooch is okay. That's not a good place for a dog to spend the night.

By the sound of it, the way he cruised right by you, he may have known where he was going. Maybe his owner has a cabin or a camper in the area and the dog decided to break free for awhile:confused:. Hopefully that's the case.

How's the hunting been so far? How's your firecracker working out with flushing birds?

P.S.-- your Blk bear skull will be ready by Friday if your around.;)

Nick

My Friday is pretty open so I may be able to swing by. Let me know what the damage is for the skull.

Annie amazes me every time we're out. She's so young but I swear she's already picking out spots that look like they hold birds. She's not afraid of thick cover, at 45 lbs she's the right size to go under most of it. Not like my other meatheads! We're finding them but knocking them down is another story. Got only a few woodcock this past weekend.
Scary to think how good she'll be !!:10sign:

The sire of my setter was killed up near Ashland by wolves. I sure hope that dog near Conover found home. The woods aren't a safe place.

This past weekend after hunting I worked on putting up some firewood. Started a campfire to burn some bark, etc., and have a coupla barley pops. Brother in law stopped by and while talking around the fire our resident doe was eating acorns 30-40 yards away. Seemingly not a care in the world. But then I got to wondering where her fawns were. They'd been hanging around all summer. They could have ended up as a meal.

One other aspect of the lost dog sighting is I'm wondering about the dogs training; one of my Iowa hunt group took his daughters GSP grouse hunting near here last year. The dog doesn't get out of the house much and I would bet my paycheck it doesn't know basic commands, such as "come". It took off and was gone for 4 hours when someone a couple miles away managed to grab it and call the phone number on it's collar. This year the daughters husband is going with us to IA and I'm praying he doesn't bring the dog along.

Back