Looking to plan a trip next year.. Need help

jetjockey

Im looking to plan a trip to S. Dakota next fall for Pheasants. I will be with my dad and father-in-law and will have at least 1 brittany, and hopefully 2 or 3 more. Im really open to anything except the high price pay to play lodges. Id like to hunt public land and possibly even private land if it isn't too expensive. I would love to stay at a lodge where we can bring our own food and feed ourselves, but wouldn't be opposed to staying in a hotel either. Id like to hunt 4 days. Any ideas where to start planning? Thanks.

Jetjockey

If you contact the game,fish and parks website you can reserve cabins at the parks they are nice cabins and they provide stove,refrigerator,plates I think you only have to bring your own bedding. I believe you can even look at them online. You can get a map of all of the public land around that area. I know lots of people that hunt only public land and do well. If you are able to choose when you go I would suggest going in December, most of the crops should be out and if your lucky most of the sloughs should be frozen.
Hopefully this helps a little. If you need anymore info send me a msg

Here is some advice I posted for another hunter a couple weeks back. Have hunted 10 years in SD and it should apply to your questions too.

"I'm not exactly narrowing it down too much but look at the area North of Highway 14, East of the Missouri River and West of Interstate 29. Get out the SD public hunting atlas and look for good concentrations of public land access not too close to a major highway or larger town. There will be plenty of roosters and hopefully they will be a little less pressured and educated.

Hunt during the week if you can. I find the birds less jumpy and I have less competition on Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays. Hunt quiet and hunt smart. As said above good roosting and/or thermal cover near food will hold birds.

If you have a decent dog(s) you may not kill a limit everyday but I bet you have the opportunity to do just that everday."

Assuming crop progress is normal I prefer to plan my trips for the second or third week of November. The weather is usually reasonable. The birds are using all types of cover and some years you will get lucky and be there during the peak waterfowl migration which is a spectacle worth seeing/living just on its own.

DB

If you need a name to hunt private land for resaonable $ you can email me I have been the last 4 years it has been great every year

Back