Looking for recommendations for shooting preserves

gps4

3 buddies and I have been planning to make a quick trip to SE SD the last weekend of January. We started making plans in November in the hopes that the weather would cooperate. Given the recent snowfall last week, I expect our host will break the bad news any day now that everything is snowed and too covered up for us to come.

not to be completely denied, we are now considering trying to find a shooting preserve in Kansas or Nebraska that will at least give our two novice dogs some encounters. my 2YO lab only has only been on 3 trips, and one of our guys has a 1.5 YO GSP that has absolutely zero experience.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for shooting preserves on the east side of Kansas, the would be much appreciated. I know it may be last minute, but we'd rather do something that stay home.

Thanks in advance.

If you are anywhere near Manhattan, KS I would recommend Rising Covey Outdoors for pheasants. I don't care to hunt game farms in general because I think the dog can pick up bad habits but I will say the pheasants at Rising Covey were without question the best I have ever seen on a game farm. The quail were pathetic, the worst I have ever seen. Why the difference? They raise their own pheasants but buy someone else's quail. I took my future son in law there a month ago so he could actually shoot at a few birds and not just clay pigeons.

Nice guys, easy to work with, good ground to hunt on. I think they would give your dogs some real work.

If that might work their number is 785.499.3420.

For many years I've taken a couple of customers to a preserve once a year. Usually in February after the wild bird season is closed and the craziness of the holidays is well behind us. I've used 3: Outdoor Obsessions in Downs, Ringneck Ranch in Tipton, and Scattered Acres in Palmer. Scattered Acres is the eastern most of the 3, but probably also the bottom of the 3 in my opinion. It wasn't bad by any means, but it just wasn't the same as the others. I brought my dogs once or twice over the years to Ringneck, but never to the other places. Criteria number 1 for me would be if the dogs could be in the rooms with me (really more of a requirement than a preference). Ringneck allowed that, but I can't speak for the other places. All three provided lodging and food.

I used Lone Pine two years ago before the season to get a young dog on his first birds. All I wanted was a day trip, so that's what I booked. I think they offer more, but I can't speak to whether it measures up.

FWIW, this year's trip will be to Outdoor Obsessions.

3 buddies and I have been planning to make a quick trip to SE SD the last weekend of January. We started making plans in November in the hopes that the weather would cooperate. Given the recent snowfall last week, I expect our host will break the bad news any day now that everything is snowed and too covered up for us to come.

not to be completely denied, we are now considering trying to find a shooting preserve in Kansas or Nebraska that will at least give our two novice dogs some encounters. my 2YO lab only has only been on 3 trips, and one of our guys has a 1.5 YO GSP that has absolutely zero experience.

If anyone has any suggestions or recommendations for shooting preserves on the east side of Kansas, the would be much appreciated. I know it may be last minute, but we'd rather do something that stay home.

Thanks in advance.
If your willing to drive far south east Kansas to Cherokee CO or NEO I have some good recommendations if interested

A place near topeka that is pretty tony (as i understand, haven't been there) is Ravenwood. It has a website.

Anybody know what pen raised pheasant are selling for these days?
Varies greatly by geography but mixed sex here are gonna be $14-15. See other places closer to $20. This would not be on a preserve and hunting them but buying and taking with you. Preserve hunting around here are $25-28.

Varies greatly by geography but mixed sex here are gonna be $14-15. See other places closer to $20. This would not be on a preserve and hunting them but buying and taking with you. Preserve hunting around here are $25-28.
That is pretty close to what I see them going for, have a neighbor who raises and takes them to some “near by” preserves and he sells for $11.50 a bird . Either way not a bad price considering $6 bucks for a dozen eggs at the grocery store.

Back