Looking for a Started Dog

bones

Looking for a started dog. Dog will be in the home with two other dogs (retired lab and my wifes Aussie) and a cat. Definately need a female, my lab is intolerant of male dogs in his house. I am not breed specific but would prefer a pointing style dog ie.... Brittanies, GWP, GSP, English Setter, Weimiraner. Trying to keep cost under $600.00. Will drive to pick up in Colorado or Kansas. Iam located in Colorado Springs, fixing to retire from the Army after 20 yrs. Dog will also be a full time companion dog for me; dogs seem to help with my PTSD I brought back from my last Afghanistan trip.

Thanks,
bones

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but finding a good started dog for $600 might be wishful thinking. Most started dogs I have ever seen if they are from good stock go for $1500 + and that being on the very low side.

Yeh I know, just keeping my fingers crossed. I also said trying, mainly trying to keep the wife behind me.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

The price will vary of course depending on what level of training they have received and if it's from a breeder or not. $600 is more in line with puppies and I've seen them go as high as $1000 from some of the more well known breeding operations.

Another option and sometimes it's a crap shoot is from rescue services that have hunting dogs that are perfectly fine, but the owners could no longer keep for whatever reason. Just an idea...

Last edited:
The price will vary of course depending on what level of training they have received and if it's from a breeder or not. $600 is more in line with puppies and I've seen them go as high as $1000 from some of the more well known breeding operations.

Another option and sometimes it's a crap shoot is from rescue services that have hunting dogs that are perfectly fine, but the owners could no longer keep for whatever reason. Just an idea...

If more rescues offered a field trial or testing of the dog, would it help to eliminate the crap shoot? We are seriously researching this option so any opinions on this topic would be great.

Looking for a started dog. Dog will be in the home with two other dogs (retired lab and my wifes Aussie) and a cat. Definately need a female, my lab is intolerant of male dogs in his house. I am not breed specific but would prefer a pointing style dog ie.... Brittanies, GWP, GSP, English Setter, Weimiraner. Trying to keep cost under $600.00. Will drive to pick up in Colorado or Kansas. Iam located in Colorado Springs, fixing to retire from the Army after 20 yrs. Dog will also be a full time companion dog for me; dogs seem to help with my PTSD I brought back from my last Afghanistan trip.

Thanks,
bones

bones, going to be extremely difficult to find a started to dog for under $600. As someone else said, good pups go for more than that. But, you never know when you just might stumble on to one. I'd check with all the kennels in your area. Sometimes they get a dog back that the owner just can't handle or doesn't have time for and you can get a good deal. Check out these two sites. You can seach by location for breeders/kennels.

http://versatiledogs.com/

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/

When you say started, how old of a dog and how much training are you looking for?

BTW, thank you for your service in Afghanistan. :thumbsup:

If more rescues offered a field trial or testing of the dog, would it help to eliminate the crap shoot?

Not sure exactly what your asking here. Are you implying rescue services could be field trialing or hunt testing (as in AKC hunt tests) their rescue dogs to see what they have? Or are you simply saying they could conduct their own private showing of the dogs field capabilities to a prospective owner?

Either way that would predicate that the person or persons who have taken in these dogs are even hunters themselves, not to mention the time and money involved. I think it's a novel idea, however I'm not sure how it would work.

Last edited:
Sometimes they get a dog back that the owner just can't handle or doesn't have time for and you can get a good deal.

This would be an excellent way and may be a more common occurrence than you think. If your not in a hurry you could leave your information with breeders in case something comes along.

Congratulations and I'm glad your quest worked out for you. Had the pleasure of hunting over a Viz last year (2010 season); it was a good hunter & a very athletic dog. Enjoy . . .

Still Looking Vizsla did no work out; gave my Lab a good bite for no apparent reason.

My advice to you would be "Slow Down". Don't just take the first dog that fits into your price range. To get the right dog takes some research. Something you must be willing to devote some time to. Check out the various breeds you are intertested in and then narrow it down to one or two. If you find a dog you like then start the investigative process. If it was me, I would want to know everything I could possibly find out about the dog. It's breeding (parents and grand parents, etc.) If it's an older started dog find out exactly why they are selling it. And when it's a started dog and someone is willing to sell it for $600 or less I think you really need find out more about the dog. Chances of buying someone else's problem are greatly increased.

Back