Lodging in SW Nebraska

TennesseeTraveler

My brother, his wife and I normally hunt Iowa but with bird pops being what they are, we are going to try SW Nebraska. Can anyone suggest any hunter friendly (maybe even dog friendly) lodging around McCook? I would not even turn down any bird hunting locations if anyone took pity on 3 weary travelers.:)

Lodging in McCook

I've been hunting that area for quite some time. All the motels take dogs. It's a hunting friendly city.

The Comfort Inn is very nice but kind of pricey. They have a couple two room suites on the end convenient for letting the dog out.

Stay away from the Chief...although the restaurant is good.

The Cedar Inn for Less is where I usually stay. About $50 bucks a night, clean, comfortable rooms. It's a little older, and definitely a throw back to 1950's motel America, but the folks are friendly, and there's a dog run right by the motel.

"The Looking Glass" is a great bar and restaurant where a lot of the locals hang out. The owner, Mitch, is a K State fan in the middle of Husker nation. They make a great steak and baked potatoe. His wife picked the name, because it was time to pick a name for the bar and it was all she could think of. That was 20 some years ago. Good folks.

Stay away from the Chinese place. Lousy food. La Cocina is great, as well as Taste of Texas BBQ.

I just noticed this post. I was out there hunting over the weekend. My young setter is doing great. We took 5 roosters and one quail.

Hey TennesseeTraveler, I think Bird-Man hit it pretty well on the head of where to stay at.

As to where to hunt, if you have not looked at this link it might be of help to you.

http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/programs/CRP/atlas.asp"]http://outdoornebraska.ne.gov/hunting/programs/CRP/atlas.asp

I have been hunting East of McCook this year myself. Mostly in map areas 59 and 67

Also the Rain Water Basin has always been good for birds. That area is roughly areas 41 53 and 59. Please just remember the RWB requires non toxic shot.

Have fun.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the suggestions for lodging. Also, thanks for pointing me to the hunting areas. My party and I have been looking at them for some time but it is always good to have someone who has been "been there, done that" to reinforce the process. Good luck in your hunts.

The Cedar Inn in McCook is reaonsably priced, on the far east edge of town, and American owned. We enjoyed our meal at the Texas BarBQ place on the west side. Peyton's Place Motel in Stratton is a fly-blown dump.

Any Follow-up?

Hi TennesseeTraveler, y'all make the NE trip yet? I'm planning a SW NE trip for the middle of January and wondering what news you had. I haven't hunted NE before and I'm looking into Hitchcock, Hayes, Red Willow, and Harlan counties for potential hunting areas. Thanks!

Change in plans

TX W,

We changed plans. I did not post when our trip was to occur and no one posted any reply to the initial plea for information until we had already hunted 2 days in IA. We were going to split a trip anyway as we did not want to lose any connections with 2 or 3 locations in IA that we were sure would have some birds. As we hunted 2 days and found a decent number of birds, we decided to stay the week in IA. Until that success, we had thought to spend a couple of days in IA then move further west to McCook. Being so far away, I only get to make one trip per year. However, my brother usually makes 2 and he might go to that area in January, too. For information, I called a few businesses in the McCook area that have ties to pheasant hunting and most reports were positive. There weren't any pure negative reports. For our trip, my brother and I got birds and my brother's wife got a few birds. She had a thirteen week old pup that she is working with so she did not hunt every day. For that matter, my brother and I did not hunt the last day and started for home early. Good trip.

Thanks for the reply! That's encouraging news and helps me narrow down areas, I really appreciate it. Glad to hear you did some good in IA. I'll let you know how we fare in NE.

Back