Let the season begin

Well another opening day in the books. Good news got a good look rooster and saw some good dog work. I also saw some crazy crazy crowds at one spot as I was getting ready to leave 5 or 6 trucks pulled up and all sorts of people were pilling out I was so glad I was leaving.

Remtech

It was the busiest opening day I have ever seen in Wi. I thought it was deer opener with all the orange I seen today.

Swung by some public land this afternoon, no cars when I got there, one came and left in less than an hour. One long distance flush and put a woodcock up along an old fence line. No shots taken of course. Long season ahead. Great to just see the dog work. Got real birdy a couple times but nothing took flight and he never locked on to a good trail. Always tomorrow. Joys of working tues through sat.

Made it out this afternoon on some public land. After a perfect track and flush Ellie put up a hen. She also flushed a woodcock. I wasn't too concerned with the lack of birds, there's lot's of corn and beans standing around the area. Next weekend should be better. Good luck to everyone and be safe!

Anyone get pics of some wild WI birds?

Nick

I don't know what happened to the photos but my son and I limited Saturday and Sunday, last night Cash put up 4 and Jake 2 but the shooting display was terrible. My son took 5 shots and bagged 0, I was 2 for 4....lots of steel flying and not much falling!

I don't know what happened to the photos but my son and I limited Saturday and Sunday, last night Cash put up 4 and Jake 2 but the shooting display was terrible. My son took 5 shots and bagged 0, I was 2 for 4....lots of steel flying and not much falling!

Were you hunting private or public?

There's some nice tail feathers on that guy Dew:). You're dog looks happy too!

Thanks for posting your photo.:thumbsup:

Nick

There's some nice tail feathers on that guy Dew:). You're dog looks happy too!

Thanks for posting your photo.:thumbsup:

Nick

Here's one from last night where he's not so happy! He was on a bird for about 200 yards through the thickest brush and when the bird finally last his nerve, the guy with the gun choked! It was like 73 degrees so I made him sit for 20 minutes while I cleaned him up, he just wanted to keep going.

Your picture isn't very clear on my computer screen but is that some of the nasty Canada Thistle in the background? I guess pheasants do love the seeds from them and the protein content is similar to alfalfa but alas a bad one to have for producers.

LOL...Ol' Broozer.

Yeah, my pooch does the same thing. Looks like hell after a few days in the field. No fur left around his eyes or nose and bleeding.:eek: I think these warm and dry days can cut them up pretty good.

Nick

Traditionally, my season starts the Monday after opening weekend.

So, with Tinker bouncing in the back of the car, we headed out for her first ever official hunting trip.

The weather unusally warm, and the winds gusting to 25mph meant that it was a less than ideal day, but the pup hasn't had a chance to be out and off leash seeking stuff since the crops were put in in the Spring.

She didn't find anything, and that was fine. She is hunting too close at the moment, but she gradually moved out a bit. This is a whole new deal for her.

The next day, we went out again, me with the single shot 12 and her with her enthusiasm for almost everything. Still too warm and with strong, but lesser, winds.

She had a great day. She trailed, found, pointed, and held the point on a rooster like a (somewhat tentative) seasoned pro! I flushed the bird and then shot behind it, or over it, or somewhere where the rooster wasn't. Just as well, she may as well get used the more common occurrence when hunting with me. :)

But she did it!

and, we got time.

Today, I took Mick out for the first time.

Last edited:
Very nice, we've been tied up with work and family photos tonight, hopefully we can get out tomorrow evening for an hour or so.

Anybody else seeing any birds?

Back