Lead shells - completely out!

jonnyB

Traveled to Cabala's in Roger's Mn. - needed 20ga 23/4' shells. None.

They have no 16ga, a few 12 ga .no 28ga..

Wondereing if this is typical with other stores? Haven't tried Walmart...

I was in Runnings here in Watertown, SD and there wasn't much left on the shelf. Better start stocking up when you can find it. And oh, don't forget the toilet paper!! :)

I bought a few boxes of 5's and 6's at Walmart, they had very little left in any gauge.

Dick's typically has very little stock and eliminated selling guns. That leaves Scheels and Walmart on the west side of Minneapolis.

I was in Runnings here in Watertown, SD and there wasn't much left on the shelf. Better start stocking up when you can find it. And oh, don't forget the toilet paper!! :)
George,

Was at MN Heartland yesterday plowing through heavy snow - lots of work, but plenty of birds and a fun outing for this old hunter and very old Golden! Just started road work with the dog, using a bike - now curtailed due to 7" of snow...
Any birds in your neighborhood or do you go west?

Jon

Last edited:
Well, season is started or starting soon everywhere. It can't be much of a surprise shotshell inventory is down now. If retailors still have shelves completely full, they likely ordered way too many or priced too high. I am on a few shooting sites and I am continually amzaed when folks who aren't new to shooting, seem to be the last ones to realize there are ammo/component shortages. Stock-up in the off-season and during times when things are plentifully....seems easy, but maybe not so much. Hope you can track some down at this late hour.

Well, season is started or starting soon everywhere. It can't be much of a surprise shotshell inventory is down now. If retailors still have shelves completely full, they likely ordered way too many or priced too high. I am on a few shooting sites and I am continually amzaed when folks who aren't new to shooting, seem to be the last ones to realize there are ammo/component shortages. Stock-up in the off-season and during times when things are plentifully....seems easy, but maybe not so much. Hope you can track some down at this late hour.
Hmm, not new to shooting, or hunting. Good idea to stock early...if they had the right shells. First time I've seen Cabala's completely out of lead shells, a few day's after the opening of the pheasant season.

I bought the last 2 boxes of PF at Runnings in Milbank last Friday. I felt a little guilty as I didn’t need them (yet) but the way things are going this year I will not risk it.

Cabela's has them in their DC. You just have to order them online and do in-store pickup. I did this frequently during fishing season when I was out of tackle, weights, line, lures, etc because the shelves were always bare.

Cabela's has them in their DC. You just have to order them online and do in-store pickup. I did this frequently during fishing season when I was out of tackle, weights, line, lures, etc because the shelves were always bare.
I think they just overnight them don't they?

I think they just overnight them don't they?
No. Bass Pro/Cabela's only does in-store purchase/pick up for ammunition. I don't believe they ship them to your residence as I looked at that when I was trying to select a shipment option. As far as buying and shipping to store for pickup, the amount of time it takes can range from a couple days to 2 weeks. My experience with in store pickup is that it generally takes about a week.

No. Bass Pro/Cabela's only does in-store purchase/pick up for ammunition. I don't believe they ship them to your residence as I looked at that when I was trying to select a shipment option. As far as buying and shipping to store for pickup, the amount of time it takes can range from a couple days to 2 weeks. My experience with in store pickup is that it generally takes about a week.
Yeah I just mock ordered some and it was 5 to 8 days. Must just be certain things. I ordered some fleece the other day and it came in overnight.

The lack of ammunition at a Cabelas at the start of hunting season no longer affects me.

As I read this thread, I am curious, how many times have some of you run a vehicle until it is out of fuel.

George,

Was at MN Heartland yesterday plowing through heavy snow - lots of work, but plenty of birds and a fun outing for this old hunter and very old Golden! Just started road work with the dog, using a bike - now curtailed due to 7" of snow...
Any birds in your neighborhood or do you go west?

Jon
Hunting around Watertown has been pretty sad for the past 10 years. There are a few birds but best to head further west. I was out opening day with 6 other guys. We averaged less than a bird a piece. Haven't been out since. Been fighting a head cold this week that has gotten me down plus the weather has sucked. At my age I've become a fair weather hunter. Looks like it will be another week before this weather straightens out.

Hunting around Watertown has been pretty sad for the past 10 years. There are a few birds but best to head further west. I was out opening day with 6 other guys. We averaged less than a bird a piece. Haven't been out since. Been fighting a head cold this week that has gotten me down plus the weather has sucked. At my age I've become a fair weather hunter. Looks like it will be another week before this weather straightens out.
Thanks for the report, George. Hope you're feeling better - at our age it takes longer!

Jon

Has this same discussion in the Guns and Ammo forum. I personally cleared out the in-stock Federal PS loads in 12 gauge for Cabelas and Fleet Farm in the cities in Sept. which amounted to 13 boxes. Needed just about every box this year for my group so glad I got it. I do recall seeing Fleet had some 20 gauge in a couple places but just about all that was left was hevishot and target loads loads in 12ga. Federal is not going to restock shotshells accord to local hearsay and is doing just handgun and rifle. Didn't find a lot of anything but basic 12 ga in the few spots I checked around Aberdeen and Redfield while out hunting in SD so don't depend on them having more either.

Best shell selection I have seen in a long time is at Lynn’s Dakota mart in pier South Dakota. Was there yesterday and was in awe of the 3” magnums selection, about four or five brands and cases of them.

Traveled to Cabala's in Roger's Mn. - needed 20ga 23/4' shells. None.

They have no 16ga, a few 12 ga .no 28ga..

Wondereing if this is typical with other stores? Haven't tried Walmart...
Plenty available online as long if they are 2 3/4. And quite a few places willing to ship. I hunt 12 gauge, and its rare to find 3 inch shells especially if they are specialized (ie nickel or copper plated etc) anywhere after season starts. I gave a rudimentary glance at my stock this past summer and mistook 2 boxes of target loads for my shell of choice. Now after my first week out, im down to half a box left. Took 2 hr internet search and a call to a buddy 4 hrs away to go to the one store in the nation that posted an inventory but wouldnt ship. Got the last 2 boxes...now i gotta go get them, good thing its on the way to some phesant country ;). i already scheduled a reminder to myself next May to make sure that i had already ordered another flat.

Back