Latest report

haymaker

I am still finding hens on the nest, but more that have hatched. I am seeing young flyers. I don't have a feel for numbers as I am staying away from the main nesting areas. Last night I saw a baby skunk as I was baling. It would have been funny watching me try to run over a baby skunk at midnight with a tractor and baler. Fortunately there was not much of an audience at that time of day. They are quicker than they look.

Lots of carryover birds
Mild winter
Decent spring (no crazy rainfall or drought)

I think it will be a good hatch.

Put up a bunch in the back yard last week. 4 young but early hatch birds. They are flying very well already. The funny thing is a rooster from last year was with or near them. They are in the corn most of the day.

was out there yesterday and today picking up a dog; spent a bit of time late in the day yesterday driving around, and, this a.m. from about 6:30-7:15...saw 3 broods total, about small pigeon sized, and they each had around 10 members, but of course the cover is very lush, could have been more. saw decent #'s of adults as well...not blown away by the #'s, but it was hot and dry. crops and grass look good.

I was through southern South Dakota last week while on family vacation. I mainly drove 90 but got off and drove some back roads some going both directions. ( my wife politely informed me that we were not on a hunting trip after about an hour of gravel roads:) ). The corn was high until about Mitchell and a little west then it was real short after that. It did not look like it will be harvested early by any stretch. The good thing is it seemed like more wheat than usual west river. Saw quite a few dead roosters on 90 which is a good sign. Quite a few birds even in my short time and not perfect timing. Stopped by my farmers house and he said he is seeing a bunch of adult birds and a lot of broods. Time will tell

Bumper Thistles:eek:

Bumper wild pheasants:thumbsup:

Nick

Been hunting Presho for the past 15 years, been a commercial guide for the past 3 years...just once I would like to guide a season in a normal year!!
My old lab is gonna give it one more year as a full time guide dog...we could both use a break from hunting everyday, all day. Give us a few more birds to finish up early so we have a little more time to hunt for ourselves...We earned it!
Thanks for all the updates, may the next three months fly bye!

I hunted with the Snake Den Folks a few years back. Presto folks are good folks. Seems like our guides name was Steve. I know he was a Lakota guide. I booked the hunt on the reservation and didn't find out until I got there that we couldn't hunt the reservation if the crops were not harvested. Anyway our guide hooked us up with the Snake Den Lodge. I couldn't have asked for a better opening weekend

If you've been hunting a town of 500 people you get to know how genuinely friendly a little town in the Midwest can be. We bought a house there 8 years ago and one of the young guys we rented the house to in the off season had a in at Snake Den. I got to hunt with Cordy and his crew for one day. Roosters were thick that year and his property was no exception. The lodge is first class with a real rattlesnake den! Small world!

I have been to Cordy and Marley's twice. Once we never hunted more than an hour and a half in any of the 3 days I was there. The next time it was a quote bad year. Actually got to hunt all day to finish our limits!!!:thumbsup: Even went down to the river to pass shoot some geese on the Rez. Knocked the heck out of the Specks and Canada's!!

A group of us come every year now. This year my buddy's are hunting a farm over buy Kimbal. We've had opening day slots there fore the last 4 years. I'm going to the grasslands, I want to see some new country and try my luck at some PC and ST. I've never been there so it should be interesting. Especially on opening weekend for pheasant.

I have heard the Fort Pierre national grasslands north of Pierre has a lot of opportunities for Sharps, haven't gone yet but it sounds like a good end day activity.

Chasing grouse can be a lot of fun. Bring your walking shoes/boots. If you never have hunted then it is worth your while. Down side is you can walk why seems like forever before finding birds or birds that want to hold for a shot. Good luck!:thumbsup:

Have seen a brood on the road 300 yards east of my house. At least 12 +hen counted the second time. Much younger than the birds in my backyard so have at least two broods in the hood.

Back