Latest on Hatch from SD

Uncle Buck

Road trip last Friday from Sioux Falls to Aberdeen. Saw a few before sundown and was in an area where I was amazed to see a lot of CRP and the birds were on the road. I was suprised to see how young the chicks are across the board. Only one group was what I would call avg for age/size this time of year. This area was wet in May however.

We're headed for Mobridge, from Mpls., in mid-September; I'll try and send a report. We usually do some scouting around the Mobridge area, within 1-2 miles of the city limits and walk the dog along the river, where there are usually birds.

Several years ago the birds were walking around near downtown - flocks! they were everywhere...

I am seeing the same thing. I saw one brood 2 days ago, coming out of the field, and when they crossed the road it was hard to tell them apart from the rocks. I would say they seemed a little smaller the closed fist, I wood guess they were 1-2 weeks old. Only reason they were moving was the farmer was combining the field. On the positive side there were 10 of them in what i assumed was the hens 2nd brood. Also I saw another small brood last week, that i assume they were 2-3 weeks old. We had a wet spring so i am assuming a lot of first nesting efforts were to no avail. Compared to last year, i assume this year there will be quite a few immature birds being harvested in the fall.

Last edited:
Great news as I anxioiusly await my first private land hunt in SD, coming up in October.

Latest on hatch from sd

Thanks for the update guys. I haven't been up in SD in a few years due to the drought and lean years but plan on a trip this year. and Britchaser your going to be in for a real mind-blowing treat if all works out for the birds recovery

Back