Late Hunting

raybob

I just got back from pheasant hunting around Sako, Malta etc and want you late hunters to know that the bird population is still in great shape. They are definitely skiddish and bunched up but there are plenty of roosters still out there to be taken. The rains have made getting around a challange but if you are driving on a county road you have to be carefull 1. to slide off and 2. not to run over roosters. You need to have blockers and have them in position a good while before the drivers come thru. They will get most of the action so put the older guys out there. Let me know how your hunt comes out. GOOD HUNTNG.

Actually, I have found the best way to hunt late season birds is hunting alone or perhaps two hunters, with a couple , three dogs that work well without hollaring or a bunch of whistling. In other words.....KEEP QUIET! And let the dogs hunt and stay close to them. I know this isnt always possible, but it is the best way I have found to get late season birds. As for the Muddy roads....dont worry about them anymore, after today, temps are supposed to be falling back into the teens and single digets for highs by this weekend. I heard their is already 8" of ice on Nelsons Res. by Saco and guys are catching fish! No hunting or fishing this weekend for me.....the wife has arranged a trip to Moose Jaw,SK with friends to a spa and hockey games.....i reminded her it was hunting season, but did not phase her...LOL, Who goes north of Glasgow in December to get away from the cold???

I like your plan, but I hunt with a Springer Spaniel and he is in and out of the cattails as a flushing dog should be. With that in mind, I'm stuck with my technique. Why not the spa at Sleeping Buffalo? Have they cleaned it up since a few years ago? Happy Holidays!!!

I am not sure on Sleeping Buffalo spa, I am pretty sure it is closed but I could be wrong. I was there last Jan. for an Ice fishing tournament and the bar was open.

Back