Last Day Tradition

BritChaser

Despite our high mileage and way out of warranty status, my long-time hunting buddy and I will be afield the last day of the season, a tradition with us. We've picked our spots - three of them - and will finish the day by cutting the dust with a worthy bourbon. Maybe we'll see a beautiful murmuration of starlings as we pass the bottle. One year they were in a long, snaking string that went on for miles. Quite a sight.

Who else will be afield that day? What are you looking forward to about it?

Great tradition. I love those starling tornadoes in the sky. They used to come over my families farm when I was growing up. They would be so loud they would wake us up from a Sunday nap.

I'll be out. Sad for the dogs, but selfishly I'm excited this season is over. What a shitshow... I would prefer to stay home and drink bourbon, but that wouldn't be too fair to the dogs to waste their last chance at wild birds. Have to tell myself you only get so many years with a dog, so better use every day you can.

Good luck to you and your hunting party. Hope you have some good stories to tell while cuttin' the dust.

I'll be out. Sad for the dogs, but selfishly I'm excited this season is over. What a shitshow... I would prefer to stay home and drink bourbon, but that wouldn't be too fair to the dogs to waste their last chance at wild birds. Have to tell myself you only get so many years with a dog, so better use every day you can.

Good luck to you and your hunting party. Hope you have some good stories to tell while cuttin' the dust.

Thank you for the good wishes, and the same to you and more. :thumbsup:

Drinking bourbon, considering the happiness of your bird dogs, appreciating a dog's limited years with his master - all marks of the thoughtful hunter that you are.

Last edited:
Back