Last Day of the Season

BritChaser

A tradition is to go afield on the last day of the season. This season was minimal with few shots. But though the weather is cold state-wide with highs in the mid-20s, I'm heading out. It won't be an all-out effort; just a couple of fields of walk-in. Their location has been strategically chosen for their proximity to Wilson where there is a decent restaurant where I'll go post-hunt. I've got a bit of bourbon left in the season's rig bottle which will be a nice warm-up after the gun is put away. Lock and load! Tally ho!

Last edited:
A tradition is to go afield on the last day of the season. This season was minimal with few shots. But though the weather is cold state-wide with highs in the mid-20s, I'm heading out. It won't be an all-out effort; just a couple of fields of walk-in. Their location has been strategically chosen for their proximity to Wilson where there is a decent restaurant where I'll go post-hunt. I've got a bit of bourbon left in the season's rig bottle which will be a nice warm-up after the gun is put away. Lock and load! Talley ho!
Good luck! I assume you are talking about Made from Scratch in Wilson. I stopped in there on a Saturday back in November. They do a German buffet on Saturdays. It was delicious.

Well never got out till 2 30 hunted till 5 15

3 of us got 6 birds and only had 1 missed bird. 1 bird came out with no tail feathers and got shot 3 times and flew off. WTH believe he flew into a nearby cattle feedlot so he might survive.

It was dang hard hunting. The last piece we hunted my buddy said we have together these other guys. I said no you and your son go I will go somewhere else. He replied no I told them you were coming so.... Well I went and now I know why. The other guys both have labs. 1 guy walked back and fourth on the road with his dog which had a jacket on.
The other guy walked up to 40 yards from the slough. He came in across the Stubblefield that had about a foot of snow. Us other guys waded thru 3 feet of snow to get into deer trails thru a 10 acre patch of cattails. We got a couple birds but saw 100's. They went to the next slough a 1/4 mile away to spend the night.

Back