Last Blue of the Season

Uplandhunter67

Hit one of my close to home spots on Saturday. Put some miles in before flushing a single male in the oak scrub. He thundered off the ground and began weaving hard through the scrub when the shotgun boomed and he crashed to the ground. My Springer made a great retrieve in the dense scrub. Walked a few more miles but didn't see anymore birds.
This was my last trip of the season for Blues. Elk season rolls up next week and after that I'll be back on the wide open prairie looking for chickens until pheasant opens...

Last edited:
He is doing better than I ever expected. I dove hunted a few weekends and he retrieved every bird that my son and i shot. Every evening when I get off of work I take both dogs out and walk the fields looking for Grouse. At first my young pup just followed the older dog everywhere but after the first 5 or 6 times he started working and searching on his own. My next step is to go out to a game farm and let him see live pheasants before the opener in November. Getting antsy for the season to start.

Glad to hear he is doing well on his road to being a class A bird dog. A good preseason pet & shoot trip is a good idea. Gets that desire into them to find birds which this year I think will be a good year for it.

Back