Lab trainer N.E. Oklahoma

edhammo59

I'm looking for a trainer for my lab pup near northeast Oklahoma. Not really interested in making a trial dog out of him just a good hunting dog. Any recommendations?

Ronnie Smith Jr. Kennels. Big Cabin, OK. He and his wife Susanna know hunting dogs. You will be very impressed.

http://www.grandrivergundogs.com/index.html

Here is a link to Cindy Leonard's Kennel. I think you would like her. No offense to Ronnie Smith as I have been to his kennels. But I feel your dog would do much better with someone who specifically trains retrievers. She does a basic gundog program with includes force fetching which is the foundation for having a quality gundog. She is very caring with the dogs and I like her gentle nature. She really knows how to earn a dogs trust. Here is her started program: Started Program: Basic obedience, both on and off leash, with collar conditioning and force fetch (delivering to hand) are the two major components in the started program. Time is also spent on swims, land retrieves (land- water- land retrieves), and introduction to birds, guns, decoys, and steady drills (waiting to be sent for a retrieve) The program is approximately three months duration, depending on the individual dog.

Sounds like exactly what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the references. I have been to Ronnie's kennel and if this was a pointing dog would surely use them. I plan on giving Cindy a call. Thanks again.

I think you are making a wise choice. I looked on her site and was impressed. The Smiths do know how to read gun dogs, especially pointing gun dogs. Let us know how things turn out. If I ever get a lab, I need to know where to go.

I have known Cindy for 30 years. Did a bunch of training with them back in the day. They actually used to come up here to train.

Sent Magic to Cindy on the first of July. As a 15 month old dog was kind of late getting started. Training is going wonderful after only 2 months. Plan on leaving him a couple of more months then it's off to hunting season. Glad I followed the recommendation and used Cindy.

Back