KS Prairie Chickens

Uplandhunter67

This weekend started the prairie chicken season in KS. We always go out for the opener. The weather was great and after walking a couple of field we ran into a covey that held and flushed in a staggered manner. It was a beautiful sight birds flushing, dogs running, shotguns booming. In seconds it was over. It had just knocked on 12:30 and we were finished. We turned and started our walk back to the truck. The dogs flushed a few more on the way but as we were limited out we could only watch them fly and coast away. Headed back to the house for a scotch and later a nice ribeye grilled to perfection.

View attachment 7389

Sunday we started in a field that has been an award winning producer for both pheasants and chickens. Unfortunately we found neither which was a bit concerting as to the success we have had here. We headed for another spot that we know generally holds birds but again we saw nothing. We were getting a bit discouraged when we headed towards another spot that is hard walking but holds birds. It wasn’t long into the walk when a bird flushed a bit wild. My hunting partner threw a shot at him but missed. The dogs pushed forward and birds began to erupt. Most were out of range but one fell to my gun. We swept around in a circle jumping a few stragglers. Two more birds crashed to the ground. Again the clock just started knocking on 12:30. We walked for another two hours as the temperature grew hotter and decided it would be best for the dogs to call it and head back to the house then home to Denver.

View attachment 7390

Overall it was a productive weekend. Prairie chicken hunting is exciting but it gives us an excuse to scout for pheasants and see what the numbers are going to be like. We did not jump a single pheasant male or female on the 15 miles we covered. That was rather scary as we usually jump a number of birds. We did see quite a number on some of the back roads in the ditches. They were a scattered group of immature roosters, hens, and seemingly young birds. Looks like there was a late hatch as the smaller birds were half the size of the hens. May be good for late season opportunities.
Either way… I just love to hunt Prairie Chickens….

Well we went back out and chased after the chickens again. Only got Saturday the 23rd in before it started to rain. We hunted some Nebraska land and saw pheasants and quail but no chickens. Did some scouting and walked a few more patches of WIHA before running into a covey of chickens. Two flushed in front of my hunting partner and he took a poke but missed twice. Covey was out of range for me as I just watched them fly towards the horizon. Then it the rain moved in. Sunday was a complete washout. Covered probably close to 12 miles on Saturday.

This last weekend was a bit more productive. It was cool out and the morning skies were heavy overcast and the wind was blowing heavy from the South. We hunted a bit of WIHA that we had seen birds near last year. Ran into a covey. Again on my hunting partners side. Shot was long and he threw it out there. No luck. We walked a few more miles and didn't run into anymore birds. The skies cleared around 1pm and the temps shot up quick. We decided it would be best to quit before the dogs got overheated.
Sunday was clear and cool but promised warm temps by noon. We headed to a haunt that holds birds and started our walk. Dogs put up a rooster 1/4 mile from the truck. We could hear chickens clucking and talking in a wheat field to our left. Good sign there. Dogs popped another rooster and off to my right a chicken sprung from the grass well out of range followed by a hen that must have been sitting close by. We wrapped out towards a feed plot. Dogs got birdy again when another rooster busted loose. Then a covey of chickens. Shots rang out and a bird fell. We headed back towards the truck jumping another rooster on our way back. It was nice to see pheasants. I was getting worried these last few trips.
Headed to another WIHA we know. Covered ground quickly as it was starting to get hot. I saw some chickens flying back into the cover from feeding. They landed just over the next ridge. We started walking in that direction when the dogs go birdy. I stood watching them work figuring a pheasant would bust loose. Well it wasn't a pheasant it was a lone chicken. Right at my feet to boot. He crashed to the ground and my lab made the retrieve. I was limited out. We walked over the next rise to find the others. My hunting partner out front with my dogs searching for the birds. My springer flushes the first bird. He flies directly away. My partner doesn't shoot. Two more jump. He takes the shot and doesn't connect... They were a bit farther out than the first bird. I ask why he didn't shoot at the first bird. He says because it made s much noise coming off the ground he thought it was a hen. Better safe than sorry I told him. Decided to call it quits after that. Dogs were getting hot. Temp was close to 70 by noon. 81 when we left to head home at 2pm.

Won't go back out for chickens until the 21st... Big game for the next few weeks....

View attachment 7464

Back