KS advice

Chocolate Head

Great forum. I live in SE Louisiana and upland bird hunting is scarce. Our staple bird is woodcock, but the weather and migration dictate our season. I own a two year old Brittany that has a great nose. She is well on her way, but we need to work out a few more steadyness kinks.

Anyway, last year we went to Wakeeney, KS. It was my first time to the great plains, first time pheasant hunting, and first time hunting out of state. We had a blast and want to go again this year. I don't think we ever took more than three roosters a day between two hunters and two dogs. We did find fair numbers of quail with little effort and excellent waterfowling.

We are planning to go back to again the week before Thanksgiving. I am considering back to Wakeeney or near Great Bend. We will also spend a day in Dodge City on the way home, just because I'm a history buff.

Does anyone have any suggestions on locals renting loding and meals? Any suggests on dates that may be better? Any suggestions on locations to consider?

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Jason

I don't have much time so I'll give you the condensed version of my opinion. The week before Thanksgiving has always been good to me when hunting public land is my only option. As with any state, mid-week will give you more opportunities to hunt some WIHA that has had at least a day or 2 of rest. The Great Bend area is a good one, but I don't think it is "traditionally" any better than the WaKeeney area. Last year was a good one near Great Bend (all sides). There is plenty of good hunting between Dodge and Great Bend that's for sure. The month of November has been hot for the past few years, so I've actually decided to take my vacation time during December instead. Something to consider if you're hunting w/ dogs.

Can't help you with lodging or meals.

Good Luck!

One problem out west is that you may not find lodging in the smaller towns if you don't have it already. The sweet spot for birds changes so much from year to year you can really improve your chances if you wait until closer to season to pick an area. Two years ago the center of pheasantville was between Kinsley and Ulysses. Last year it was around Wakeeney to Oberlin. This year?????

One problem out west is that you may not find lodging in the smaller towns if you don't have it already. The sweet spot for birds changes so much from year to year you can really improve your chances if you wait until closer to season to pick an area. Two years ago the center of pheasantville was between Kinsley and Ulysses. Last year it was around Wakeeney to Oberlin. This year?????
I agree with Prairie Drifter, if you do have a general area planned to hunt you had better find lodging and get it reserved fast as it will all start getting booked very soon. Good luck with the hunting. ;)

New Dilema

I just realized that Pheasant and Quail seasons open the week I was planning my trip. Last year I was worned to wait until a few weeks after the opener, b/c things tend to get crazy. Can anyone weigh in on this? I may be splitting hairs, but I want to get the best out of my trip. Granted, I will be able to hunt for six days and most of it will be during the week.

Yes they just changed the seasons back to how it use to be. I would definitly wait. Things are very crazy opening weekend and the birds get pounded in all areas of the state. This is why I stay and hunt qauil opening weekend in eastern kansas and let all those opening weekend yaehoos get out of their and then hunt during week days on public ground in western kansas. In my opinion its definitly worth the wait because it gets so crowded on the best pieces of grass. have a good hunt thanks for hunting the great state of kansas.

Jason,

I've been going to Great Bend for the last 7 years. There is tons of WIHA within easy driving distances.

Plus, if you're a waterfowler, you have Cheyenne Bottoms and Quivera very close by.

I stay at the Baltzell Motel in GB. Small but clean rooms reasonably priced, dogs allowed in the room plus a cleaning station out back. I always book a room a couple months before the season.

Best of luck to you.

lefty

Is it just the opening weekend that's bad or is the first week bad? We plan to arrive on Sunday, the second day of the season. We could just hunt the private land that the farmers own where we are staying. Then move to WIHA's the rest of the week.

I certainly plan to follow the advice of you all since you live there.

Is it just the opening weekend that's bad or is the first week bad? We plan to arrive on Sunday, the second day of the season. We could just hunt the private land that the farmers own where we are staying. Then move to WIHA's the rest of the week.

Usually the first WEEK is hit or miss with people, granted the opening weekend is crowded but most are just weekend warriors and leave. But there's alot of people that think the same thing as you about it being easier and less crowded to hunt mid-week so it could very possibly crowded also. It sounds like you already have a plan of attack and it sounds feasible so that's what I would stick with, but on the flip side, is your group the only one hunting the private land? If it is then I would pound the WIHA early and let the birds move to the unpressured private land that you have. I know that this sounds terrible and many will atack me for it but I do the same thing, but I also take some fellow UPH members to my private land and let them hunt it with me so it works out. Good luck

I do the same exact thing.... arrive Sunday afternoon of opening weekend and hunt m-f exclusively wiha. I agree with kiotehntr about hitting wiha's early. I am always the first guy at the field. My first hunt of the day is usually the most productive.

I start seeing more hunters Th-F and occasionally earlier in the week but have never felt crowded.

lefty

I'll check, but we should be the only people on the private land. I also know of some near by private land that was very productive last year. It was the only place we saw a live person. He was very nice and allowed us to hunt to different parcels of his land. I plan to knock on his door again.

As far as a plan. The week before Thanksgiving works well for us, but if I am sure it's going to be a bust b/c of crowds, I'll work something else out. My fear is the later we go, the more chance of snow. Being from Louisiana, we don't know anything about driving or hunting in the snow.

hunting in the snow is the best time to hunt pheasants. Dogs can hunt them better and they hold extremely tight because they can't run well in the snow. and the pheasants aren't as spread out they bunch up together and I think it makes for better hunting.

I'll check, but we should be the only people on the private land. I also know of some near by private land that was very productive last year. It was the only place we saw a live person. He was very nice and allowed us to hunt to different parcels of his land. I plan to knock on his door again.

As far as a plan. The week before Thanksgiving works well for us, but if I am sure it's going to be a bust b/c of crowds, I'll work something else out. My fear is the later we go, the more chance of snow. Being from Louisiana, we don't know anything about driving or hunting in the snow.
If you get a chance to hunt in the snow then I would absolutely do it, your chances of bagging birds should go up quite a bit. What kind of rig will you be coming up in? If if does snow and is icy then I would definately try to bring a 4 wheel drive and drive slowly. Carry a tow rope or a long piece of heavy chain to help if you do get stuck. I'm sure that you will be fine in your adventures and just remember in Kansas if you don't like the weather then wait 5 minutes and It'll probably change. Stay in touch and as the time gets closer PM me if you want and I'll do my best to help you find some birds. Take Care

Thanks for the advice. I will be in touch as it gets closer. We will be in a 4 wheel drive Chervolet Diesel. I would describe the tires as hybrid, not quite off road, but not touring tires.

Thanks for the advice. I will be in touch as it gets closer. We will be in a 4 wheel drive Chervolet Diesel. I would describe the tires as hybrid, not quite off road, but not touring tires.

I've been SOL in a big deisel when it is muddy in W KS. The snow really isn't anything to worry about if you maintain reasonable speeds.

Take into acount the crop situation when planning a trip thats as important to you as this appears to be. Last year colorado they didnt get the corn out till after the second weekend..............not so much huntin.

The crops were an issue for us last year in KS. I didn't see a bird after they hit the standing crops. To be honest, I didn't due as well in stubble as I did in CRP. But after all, it was my first pheasant hunt.

I want to thank you all for your advice. It seems as though we will be moving our trip to the week before Christmas. Even the person at the lodge felt that odds are better as it gets consistantly colder. Additionally, most people feel that access to private land gets easier after Thanksgiving.

I'll keep an eye on this forum and the KWP bird forcast to see if we need to make reservations in another area. Currently we are staying about 15 miles south of WaKeeney.

That might be smart moving your trip like you did. Regardless of when you get in the field stay in touch and good luck..:thumbsup:

Back