Kochia removal

reddog

20151010_080306.jpg

Is there a way to clean Kochia out of a grass/alfalfa patch without taking out the alfalfa? I know Kochia is great pheasant cover but I don't want it taking over. This hasn't been hayed for about 5 years.

20151010_080340.jpg

Last edited:
I've got enough grass in the mix that I'm willing to kill the alfalfa in the small area along with the Kochia, (milestone) but if there's something out there that will save the alfalfa, I'd give that a try.

Guys, the same chemicals will generally kill both. My first thought is the height difference. You could use a wick applicator with about any chemical to work on the problem. You'll just have to keep it high enough that the kochia is the only thing you apply it to.

I am going to be the guy to say leave it. That does not look terrible and like you said pheasants like it. Only humans think monotypic fields of grass are look nice. I assure you wildlife don't care!! If you think you have to get rid of it I would wait until next year to see if its back. I once heard a guy say Kochia is natures cover crop. There must be some bare ground that is allowing that kochia to get started.

I would have to hire it done on my property as I don't have the equipment on site. I'm thinking I've got a roundup wipe Stick somewhere and will try to wipe them out as recommended by Prairie Drifter.

If you leave it you will never make the cover of Successful Farming magazine, if that matters. :)

I would have to hire it done on my property as I don't have the equipment on site. I'm thinking I've got a roundup wipe Stick somewhere and will try to wipe them out as recommended by Prairie Drifter.

I'm so misunderstood. I didn't recommend eradication, just told you how:). I, personally, would leave it. Never known it to crowd out native. Since native has the competitive advantage as time passes, it should crowd out the kochia. Kochia is an early successional plant and won't persist as the stand matures.

I'm so misunderstood. I didn't recommend eradication, just told you how:). I, personally, would leave it. Never known it to crowd out native. Since native has the competitive advantage as time passes, it should crowd out the kochia. Kochia is an early successional plant and won't persist as the stand matures.

Does he have a native grass stand? The alfalfa is probably thining out and being replaced by the kochi a. If the grass out competes kochi a how did it get started in the first place.

I think kochia is an annual, check with your local agronomist you might be able to control it with a preemergence herbicide.

Ah better living through chemicals.

Last edited:
Does he have a native grass stand? The alfalfa is probably thining out and being replaced by the kochi a. If the grass out competes kochi a how did it get started in the first place.

I think kochia is an annual, check with your local agronomist you might be able to control it with a preemergence herbicide.

Good question MO. I guess I just surmised that. Could be a cool-season introduced grass stand with the alfalfa. Same answer though. Both brome and fescue would tend to squeeze out the kochia over time.

At the time we bought the property in 2000, this was a corn field. We seeded it down to Western Wheat grass with a strong dose of alfalfa. The theory was to give the pheasants and deer a place to live and feed in the winter time, as it was the only alfalfa around. Within a year, the adjoining landowner took the remaining acres and planted alfalfa also, which he hays a couple times a year. Our alfalfa, which did not get hayed regularly, turned rank in the late season, nothing but sticks. We opted to redo it, since there was alot of adjoining alfalfa and our was not needed for wildlife forage.

We used Milestone and killed out the alfalfa, about 6 years ago, and the wheatgrass is doing well. The alfalfa in the pictures, is just residual plants that have sprouted from seed, or missed in the chem app.

I like the diversity in the field right now with a little alfalfa, and more grasses. I'm trying to integrate more WSG into the mix, becausey the Wheatgrass came as a recommendation from a supplier in Pierre, and I dont think I would use it again, at least not in the quantity I have now.

This is just a small stand, but holds birds, and deer feed in it regularly. We dont hunt it, but will take the dogs thru it occasionally. Its more for viewing pleasure.

I actually just discovered the Kochia on the south end during a short walk with the pup last weekend. I guess if you cant see it, it shouldnt bother me..)

Back